My 63 356B Cab

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Matt Anderson
356 Fan

My 63 356B Cab

#1 Post by Matt Anderson »

Hi All,

I'm new to the board (first post) and have just come in to a 62 or 63 356 Cab. Here's the short version of a long story:

My Father-in-laws Aunt was married to a gentleman (her second husband) that owned this 356. I'm not sure what the year is just yet, but I seem to be leaning more towards a 62. I haven't checked the VIN yet. He passed away in 1979, the year after I was born. The car has remained in her garage since his passing in 1979. She lives in South Pasadena. This is an original California car with original black plates. I haven't had a lot of time to inspect the car just yet. It's been a very touchy subject up to this point. My FIL and I went and put it on the trailer this AM and he is currently taking it to his home in Camarillo. I will begin work on it tomorrow afternoon (work meaning prelim inspection of braking system, fuel lines, gaskets etc.)

My goal is to put the car in working order so it is drivable. We don't plan on doing a full restoration, I'm much more a fan of driving it the way it is. I know that the car is not terribly rare due to the year and corresponding production numbers.

My father in law had cleaned the car completely inside and out which made the car look really really good. Only 52K original miles!!!

I also found out from him tonight that the original roof of the cabriolet had been redone by non other than the "Hillside Stranger" Angelo Buono. Pretty cool story to go along with the car.

My Aunt had several things that her husband had with the car. She had the owners manual, original bill of sale (Harris only payed $3,817 for the car when he bought it) the business card of the gentleman who sold him the car, shop repair manuals and a bunch of other things that are super super cool.

I'm posting a few of the pictures for you guys to see. Any ideas on how much the shop manuals may be worth? I'll be starting on the brakes in 2 weeks!!! YAY!!!

I've been unsuccessful at posting more than these 2 photos. There's more photos in the Pelican Parts forums here

Joost van der Velden
356 Fan

#2 Post by Joost van der Velden »

Very nice car. Keep it as original as possible. Some pictures of the motor would be nice.

If you have your VIN and/or motor number you can check the build year here:
http://www.356a.com/index.htm

You can check the value from current Ebay sales here:
http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/derwhite/R ... Sales.html
Porsche 356 BT6 S90 1962
VW Beetle 1302S 1971
Porsche 911 SC 1980

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#3 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Matt,
Congratulations on the cab. Looks very clean. Since you're having issues posting pics, hope you don't mind if I post them for you...I see it was bought at Jack McAfee Motor. Very cool! It didn't come with a license plate frame did it? Can you post a close up of the business card? It looks like it says Heinz something...

Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Matt Anderson
356 Fan

#4 Post by Matt Anderson »

The guys name was Heinz Breuer. His name doesn't sound German at all (LOL) I plan on keeping it as original as possible. I can't wait to drive it either. There are some things in this world that there are no substitutes for.

Brett Allison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brett Allison »

Nice acquisition and congratulations. I just entered the fold myself. Kudos to your determination to preserve it.

Perhaps you're already quite familiar with the routine, but in my book, it's brakes first. I saw you already mentioned them. But, you absolutely must make sure it can stop before you should think about making it go.

Good luck,

Brett

Eric Wahlberg
356 Fan

My 63 356B Cab

#6 Post by Eric Wahlberg »

The shop manuals are worth a lot when you need to work on your B Cab. Do
not even think of selling them as they will be extremely helpful in getting
your 356 recommissioned.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Eric

----- Original Message -----
To: <356talk@356registry.com>
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 1:54 PM
Subject: [356Talk] My 63 356B Cab

Hi All,

I'm new to the board (first post) and have just come in to a 62 or 63 356
Cab. Here's the short version of a long story:

My Father-in-laws Aunt was married to a gentleman (her second husband)
that owned this 356. I'm not sure what the year is just yet, but I seem to
be leaning more towards a 62. I haven't checked the VIN yet. He passed
away in 1979, the year after I was born. The car has remained in her
garage since his passing in 1979. She lives in South Pasadena. This is an
original California car with original black plates. I haven't had a lot of
time to inspect the car just yet. It's been a very touchy subject up to
this point. My FIL and I went and put it on the trailer this AM and he is
currently taking it to his home in Camarillo. I will begin work on it
tomorrow afternoon (work meaning prelim inspection of braking system, fuel
lines, gaskets etc.)

My goal is to put the car in working order so it is drivable. We don't
plan on doing a full restoration, I'm much more a fan of driving it the
way it is. I know that the car is not terribly rare due to the year and
corresponding production numbers.

My father in law had cleaned the car completely inside and out which made
the car look really really good. Only 52K original miles!!!

I also found out from him tonight that the original roof of the cabriolet
had been redone by non other than the "Hillside Stranger" Angelo Buono.
Pretty cool story to go along with the car.

My Aunt had several things that her husband had with the car. She had the
owners manual, original bill of sale (Harris only payed $3,817 for the car
when he bought it) the business card of the gentleman who sold him the
car, shop repair manuals and a bunch of other things that are super super
cool.

I'm posting a few of the pictures for you guys to see. Any ideas on how
much the shop manuals may be worth? I'll be starting on the brakes in 2
weeks!!! YAY!!!

[Image: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads1 ... 066448.jpg ]

[Image: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads1 ... 066485.jpg ]

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Eric Wahlberg

Re: My 63 356B Cab

#7 Post by Guest »

Hi Matt,

how can one choose such a funny name "Fusspilz",
this is German and means "Hong Kong toe"
or "athlete's foot"...
It's not very comfortable, hope you're not suffering...

Get well soon and regards from Germany

Rolf

Matt Anderson wrote:Hi All,

I'm new to the board (first post) and have just come in to a 62 or 63 356 Cab. Here's the short version of a long story:

My Father-in-laws Aunt was married to a gentleman (her second husband) that owned this 356. I'm not sure what the year is just yet, but I seem to be leaning more towards a 62. I haven't checked the VIN yet. He passed away in 1979, the year after I was born. The car has remained in her garage since his passing in 1979. She lives in South Pasadena. This is an original California car with original black plates. I haven't had a lot of time to inspect the car just yet. It's been a very touchy subject up to this point. My FIL and I went and put it on the trailer this AM and he is currently taking it to his home in Camarillo. I will begin work on it tomorrow afternoon (work meaning prelim inspection of braking system, fuel lines, gaskets etc.)

My goal is to put the car in working order so it is drivable. We don't plan on doing a full restoration, I'm much more a fan of driving it the way it is. I know that the car is not terribly rare due to the year and corresponding production numbers.

My father in law had cleaned the car completely inside and out which made the car look really really good. Only 52K original miles!!!

I also found out from him tonight that the original roof of the cabriolet had been redone by non other than the "Hillside Stranger" Angelo Buono. Pretty cool story to go along with the car.

My Aunt had several things that her husband had with the car. She had the owners manual, original bill of sale (Harris only payed $3,817 for the car when he bought it) the business card of the gentleman who sold him the car, shop repair manuals and a bunch of other things that are super super cool.

I'm posting a few of the pictures for you guys to see. Any ideas on how much the shop manuals may be worth? I'll be starting on the brakes in 2 weeks!!! YAY!!!

I've been unsuccessful at posting more than these 2 photos. There's more photos in the Pelican Parts forums here

:wink:

Matt Anderson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Matt Anderson »

So here's the update:

While a lot of you fine gentlemen were enjoying the weather in SLO, I was sweating in my Bundewehr issue overalls taking apart brakes and gleaning some 30 yr old gunk (yuck).

I was able to get the new shocks on, drain the oil, install the new MC, adjust the valves, change the sump gasket, remove the carbs and fuel pump, get the new tires on the wheels (the new Falkens look sharp), drain the gas tank and intstall the battery. This was all within about 12 hours. I think I was pretty efficient.

I boxed the carbs and fuel pump to send to my brother (he's a mechanic by trade). He offered to rebuild the carbs and fuel pump for me. THey'll be going out via UPS today. My parents are coming in to town next weekend to see the grandkids (I have 2) so they will be bringing the carbs and fuel pump when they come!!

When I drained the oil it still had a reddish hue, but stunk like gas!! I've put some Lucas Stabilizer in it to sit for the next week or so. The engine turns over smoothly by hand. I have yet to try it with the starter. I hope to be doing that this next weekend!!

I was really surprised at the overall condition of the car. Aside from a small oil leak (I think it was the sump gasket) the car seems to have been meticulously kept.

This next weekend I will be finishing the brakes and hopefully installing the carbs. It's almost back in working order!!

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#9 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Matt,
Make sure you pack and insure your carbs properly with UPS. I worked 5 years in International sales at UPS. I saw more people pissed and disappointed from a denied claim. Just some friendly advice...

You got any pics of your progress?
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Rick Cicciarelli
356 Fan

#10 Post by Rick Cicciarelli »

You lucky bastard! :o Enjoy that gold mine to the fullest!

Matt Anderson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Matt Anderson »

I'll be posting the pics when I get home. I forgot to take the camera to work.

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

Great treasure

#12 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Of this wonderful old find, you say "Aside from a small oil leak (I think it was the sump gasket) the car seems to have been meticulously kept."

One of the second or third things you'll learn of these babies, THEY ALL LEAK OIL!
When discussing this issue with a 356 restorer who said that leaking oil should not be an issue, I asked "Have you ever seen one, other that freshly rebuilt, that didn't drip oil?" His answer without delay or further thought was "NO".
He went on to agree that they all drip oil.
Nuff said. Tom
 KTF, member #15

Al Zim
356 Fan

1963 CABRIOLET INHERITANCE FIND

#13 Post by Al Zim »

You have inherited a very valuable vehicle probablly worth 50 thousand dollars now. Put it in you garage till the wills etc are probated. Many on the list will tell you to start the car and dirve it DO NOT DO THAT ! Find someone who is knowledgable to look at the car. If the valve spring are rusty plan on at least a rods out rebuild. If the tank is rusty replace it also the fuel pump etc. Everything on the brakes needs to be replaced with new parts (1200 dollars with labor) including the wheel bearings seals rear wheel bearings and seals. Plan on spending 10 thousand dollars on getting the mechanical correct on the car. You will get your money back on the resale. Insure it immediately for 55K pay someone to give you a professional evaluation of the car if the insurance company wants it. I like larry Markham of Markham Motor Werks take the car to him and see what he says.
You are very fortunate in this inheritance do not let your enthsiasm overpower good judgement. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Matt Anderson
356 Fan

#14 Post by Matt Anderson »

Thanks for the optimism Tom!! Just kidding. I know it's almost sacreligious to say that Porsches are Volkwagens, but they are. With that being said, I've had several cars that did NOT leak oil. Some of them being the same age as the Porsche. We'll see if this one continues to leak.

If I put the car in the garage until everything cleared probate, I'd be well into my 50's (it's a joke). My brother and I have been wrenching on cars since he was 12 and I was 7. He's a SAE certified mechanic and has his own shop. We have both already indspected the valves and pushrods. The tank has been pulled and sent to a sonic cleaner. I've already sent the carbs and fuel pump to my brother for rebuilding.

I've already gotten the parts and will be replacing the wheel bearings this next week before I finish with the brakes. Luckily, I'm experinced with old german drum brakes, so I won't have to pay someone to do them.

10K dollars on getting the mechanical correct?!?! What do you propose I do to it?!?! Gold plating? Excessive BlIng? I'd like to know what you think should be done so I can compare it with my list, who knows, I may have forgotten something.

The car is currently insured. I'm not really worried about it, and as far as resale is concerned, this car will probably be willed to another family member after I am gone.

Matt Anderson
356 Fan

#15 Post by Matt Anderson »

Pics for you guys. Some of the stuff I found in the trunk. Check out the old school fire extinguisher. I've also included a picture of the new tires. Oh yeah, check out my version of a carb wrench!! It was late, so I took the hack saw to it. $3 for a new one.