Can someone help with Carrera Deco question?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Warren Tomlin
356 Fan

Can someone help with Carrera Deco question?

#1 Post by Warren Tomlin »

Hi there,

My body guy is about to fit my carrera decos to my Pre-A bumpers. He is worried when he wraps the end that they are going to change shape (get fatter as they go around the corner).

Does anyone have any detailed pics of that area, and some tips (he wants to remove material to make them flat) - wanted to ping the list first because there must be some pics/info that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,

Warren

Bil Brown
356 Fan

body bumper trim

#2 Post by Bil Brown »

Warren........I cut a "V" out of the backside of the trim to relieve it a bit right at the bend. Also, it helps if your body guy can anneal the aluminum trim, that will make it malleable and will bend easier without damaging your paint.
Bill Brown

Warren Tomlin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Warren Tomlin »

Thanks Bill.

did you cut the v right around the edge of the corner?

Also, how would you get it back on after the bumper was painted without scratching where it "grabs on" around the corner of the bumper.

Barry, I think you might have had this on your D a while back. any tips/pics you could post?

Thanks in advance,

Warren

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Warren Tomlin wrote:Thanks Bill.
Barry, I think you might have had this on your D a while back. any tips/pics you could post?
Warren, I did have this bumper trim style on the D I used to own (now proudly owned by Tom Roos in North Carolina who is taking excellent care of it!). I had the trim put on by a very skilled metalworker in Ventura (sorry, no name, he doesn't normally take on small jobs) who is an expert in shaping aluminum. He and I discussed the project and decided against wrapping the trim around the bumper ends, even though that approach is not "correct", because it would be easier to take off and replace for cleaning underneath the trim. So he finished it nicely just before the end of the bumper.

I realize that many people have put that trim on and wrapped it. Neil McSwain did it himself on his 56 Carrera coupe, and did an extremely nice job. I believe he is registered on this Forum, and perhaps he could supply some photos and write up a description of his technique so that it could be a reference for future questions.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Bil Brown
356 Fan

GT bumper trim

#5 Post by Bil Brown »

Warren.......About 1 inch should be wrapped around the edge of the bumper. If you don`t anneal the aluminum, it won`t take more than a bend or two, before it starts to work harden and crack. Put it on after your bumper is painted and finshed. Here`s a pic of the "V" cut-out on the backside of the trim......Bill
Bill Brown

Ken Weidmann
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ken Weidmann »

This is what we used to model my carrera molding on my 57. This was a car at the Dana Point show in 2004.
Ken Weidmann Jr.
1957 356 T-1 Coupe
2nd owner/original family #100119

Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

#7 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

mine were done in full... no cutting 8)

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

Jason Bobruk
356 Fan

59 Carerra GT

#8 Post by Jason Bobruk »

ImageHere is a picture I took of a Factory 59 GT. Looks to be uncut. I would anneal the Ends of the strip (a very easy process) which would allow the corners to be easily worked by hand[/list][/i][/b]