Engine bay insulation

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James porter
356 Fan

Re: Engine bay insulation

#16 Post by James porter »

does a 1959 356 coupe get sound deadning in the engine bay

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#17 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bob Rode
356 Fan

#18 Post by Bob Rode »

I am looking for sources for engine bay insulation. I need only the piece that fits on the firewall behind the engine. Bob

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dave Erickson »

I recently finished building my garage addition, so for the first time in a long, long time I have my 64SC inside and on its new home, a 4-post rack. First task for me is to replace the transmission and engine compartment insulation and finish up all the cabling and heater parts, so that I can install the rebuilt transmission and engine.

Thanks to Doug, I have some original engine-compartment insulation to install. The engine compartment insulation has a tar paper layer bonded to a thick inner jute layer. I think the installation process is to clean the engine compartment, heat the tar-paper side of the panel to soften it, apply contact cement to both engine compartment and panel, and press in place, using the clips to keep the edges tight. The panels are very stiff, and would crack if pressed in place without heat.

Prior to getting the panels from Doug I bought a set of Stoddard's insulation panels, which I still have. I think this is the same set sold by Sierra Madre and Klasse 356. The panels don't have the jute insulation attached, and the shape of the cutouts is much different than the originals, but they are flexible and easy to install. Stoddard recently introduced a set of insulation panels that have the jute insulation like the originals, but the set does not include the two pieces that fit above the transmission.

-Dave

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Dave pretty sure those aren't original I bought them from Stoddard's in the early to mid 80's for the 63T6B or maybe the 65SC I had but never installed them. Close to originals I think though.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Erickson »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Dave pretty sure those aren't original I bought them from Stoddard's in the early to mid 80's for the 63T6B or maybe the 65SC I had but never installed them. Close to originals I think though.
Doug, they sure are close to original. The cutouts are an exact match to the originals I removed from the car. The only difference I can see is that the original jute panels were laminated. i.e. they had three layers: jute, rubber, jute, then the thick tarpaper. Probably in the early 80's Stoddards was still selling parts from Porsche, not making their own parts, but I don't know for sure.

Dave