New Tech Articles: Seat Recliners & Sump Plate Leaks

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

New Tech Articles: Seat Recliners & Sump Plate Leaks

#1 Post by Barry Brisco »

Bruce Tuffli has kindly contributed an excellent article, with helpful photos, on "Seat Recliner Disassembly" and I have made it available at http://356registry.com/techinfo/repair/ ... embly.html

It can also be downloaded and printed as a one page PDF file, there's a link to the file on that web page.

Also, I have compiled some recent 356Talk posts on "Solving Sump Plate Oil Leaks" by Rainer Cooney, Ken Daugherty, Alan Klingen, Ron LaDow, at http://356registry.com/techinfo/repair/ ... leaks.html
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Jim Blakewell
356 Fan

Re: New Tech Articles: Seat Recliners & Sump Plate Leaks

#2 Post by Jim Blakewell »

I have a set of '65 seat recliners that I need to rechrome. I cannot see how to remove the lever that allows the back to change angle. If I heat the tabs around the shaft won't I warp the part? I'm unable to jump to the techinfo articles referenced above.
Jim Blakewell
Jim Blakewell

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Jim,
I copied and pasted the link above into Bing, and while it took a two-click progression I got the one on the sump plates to see if the (then Mainely, now Pre Mat) plates were even in available at that time.
The same technique doesn't seem to get to the seat recliner repair; it leads to articles aligning a seat back.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#5 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Jim,

The article doesn't cover that removal as the example recliner is an earlier style. When I had my 65 recliners rechromed, I carefully bent back the tabs that hold that lever in place JUST enough to pry it loose (again: carefully).

The parts were all chromed independently, and the lever reinstalled by "clicking" it back into place with some force, then squeezing the tabs back into place as hard as I could with a set of huge pliers. These tabs are buried in the assembly and will not be seen, so some scratching, etc. is ok.

The important part is to not break the tabs (obviously) and to get the tabs as close to their original tightness as possible with no play (up down) that could cause adjustment issues when reassembled. But not so tight as to be difficult to operate. The latter would be hard to do. They are tough buggers.

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll see if I can dig up some photos. I'm about to partially disassemble one of my rechromed seat hinges in a few days, and could snap a few for reference.

Sean

Jim Blakewell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jim Blakewell »

Sean, Thanks for sharing your experance. I was concerned the tabs would brake unless I heated them and was afraid that might damage the whole piece. I also looked at moving the shaft and grinding it slightly where it might come out easier.
Thanks again, Jim
Jim Blakewell

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#7 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Jim,

Here's a photo of the inside of my rechromed recliner. The tabs are pretty robust. I was able to bend them enough without any heat to pry the lever out just fine. One thing I forgot was the spring that provides the tension on the lever. That is very important - you'll have to make sure when you reinstall the lever that you have the right tension on that spring.

-Sean

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ron LaDow »

Sean M Rooks wrote:Jim,
Here's a photo of the inside of my rechromed recliner. The tabs are pretty robust. I was able to bend them enough without any heat to pry the lever out just fine. One thing I forgot was the spring that provides the tension on the lever. That is very important - you'll have to make sure when you reinstall the lever that you have the right tension on that spring.
-Sean
That is a mechanism which is rare among those who have bought the Popper Stoppers from Pre Mat. I have not been able to identify when that was used in 356s; one correspondent suggested it was a 9XX part fitted to the C seats.
I do not know at this point, other than it is different from any of the Cs which I've owned and different from those of most all of my customers who have bought the Popper Stoppers.
EASY Jim? Got some data?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Ron,

Thanks for posting! Jim B. obviously will have the best knowledge there. Couple things:

1) Thanks for chiming in, especially if the original poster has a different mechanism inside his recliner, my advice may not be valid.
2) These seats were not original to my '64. My car came with 944 seats and I bought these knowing they were from a 356, but not which year. Other than the recliners, they seats themselves were very much for a T6 C as they slide right into my C seat rails.

Will your popper stoppers work on this type of recliner? I've had some seat popping but I think that was due to my (stupid) greasing of the mechanism when it should be dry. This is why I've disassembled them.

-S