Muffler type

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

Muffler type

#1 Post by Christian Guthrie »

Listers-
I have a 63 T-6 B. Engine is a 1720, slightly hotter cam, running dual 40 Dell's and an open Bursch. I like the open exhaust(no muffler) but have decided it's time to get an appropriate muffler. I installed a stock muffler but couldn't adjust to it after having no muffler for so long. Please let me know your personal experiences with the mufflers you have. I've thought about the SuperSound from NLA, the Dansk Sports Exhaust and the Abarth replica from NLA. I would like something that does not make the engine feel "restricted" like the stock muffler does and has a nice sound. I have been watching for an updated dyno comparison from Alan at The Stable pertaining to the new mufflers out but haven't seen one yet. Maybe in the future? Thanks in advance for the help,
Christian

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Muffler type

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

Christian

"....I have been watching for an updated dyno comparison from
Alan at The Stable pertaining to the new mufflers out but haven't
seen one yet. Maybe in the future? Thanks in advance for the help,
Christian"

Alan can comment on where we are, but I'll say: "It's in process and it ain't quick. Or easy".
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tom Markussen
356 Fan

Exhaust with nice sound

#3 Post by Tom Markussen »

Hi 356 fans

I am searching for an exhaust with a nice deep sound for my '57 Speedster for road use. What exhaust has the nicest sound? It shall not be too loud or too low - you know what I mean!

When I bought the car it was equipped with a new standard DANSK. It is very VW like. I ordered a sport exhaust from JP Group in Denmark (who manufactures DANSK) specially made to go through the horns of the bumper. To my big surprise and disappointment I discovered that it sounds exactly like the standard. Hmmm.

Can anyone help with surgestions?

Tom, Denmark
Tom Markussen
1958 Porsche 356A Speedster T2 #83967
1958 Porsche 356A Coupe T2 #104598
1960 Austin Healey Sprite MK1 Frogeye #AN5/43259
1955 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint #349

Frank Earle
356 Fan

muffler type

#4 Post by Frank Earle »

Christian,

Check out the excellent Sebring-type exhaust system built by Jim Constas, it's absolutely a work of art. Here's an exhaust that has a distinctive throaty note reminiscent of sounds from the 'track', which can be backed down a few octaves with a baffle, and doesn't have the degree of back pressure common in commercial exhaust systems currently available.

Jim's phone numbers: 248-685-8544/248-882-7925. Or try jconstas@comcast.net.

Regards,

Frank Earle
Registry #927

Jim Johnston
Registry Trustee

Muffler type

#5 Post by Jim Johnston »

I can vouch for two that might fit your needs. I've used the Bursch non-quiet version on multiple 356s and love it. Great sound and performance. If you occasionally want to get wild, just unbolt the muffler and bolt on the stinger - scares the wildlife but great fun. On my just restored Speedster, I installed Jim Constas's Sebring style exhaust. I wouldn't call it a muffler because it only has two collection chambers, not really a muffler. Pretty free flowing and the engine seems to rev a bit more easily. I LOVE the sound, but it would seem pretty loud to most, I suppose. For my Speedster, restored in the Carrera GT style, it's perfect, and others seem to like it too. I've included a photo. Jim is a great guy to work with, and the unit is indeed beautifully built, though it took some adjustment in my case.

Jim