Another ask for help reading Kardex

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Homan
356 Fan

Another ask for help reading Kardex

#1 Post by Bill Homan »

Finally got around to obtaining the Kardex on my T-5 Notchback – pasted below. Everything on the top part matches the COA and car. But, I could use some help on the rest:

1. The handwriting in the section Sonderausführung / Sonderausttatung (special version / special equipment) is very difficult to read. The last part clearly refers to the motor number. Can anybody suggest what this says?

2. No surprise Hoffman was the importer. But the buyer was in Los Angeles. Would the Kardex normally list the dealership between the importer and the ultimate buyer? Or, should I read this that Hoffman was the dealership that sold the car directly to its first owner?

BTW, the first owner is listed as “ED. Wells. President of P[CA?] Region Los Angeles US[?] Vp.[?] 5.3.6[2?]” A Google search shows that E. D. (Ernie?) Wells was the first Treasurer of the Los Angeles Region of the PCA (maybe later the President?) and wrote a number of articles in the early 60s in Panorama and Porscherama magazines.

Thanks for any help with this!

Bill
Attachments
Kartex 200982.jpg
Kartex 200982.jpg (389.57 KiB) Viewed 576 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Another ask for help reading Kardex

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Bill: I'm sorry I couldn't decipher any of the accessories. It looks like it was written after a long beer break on a Friday!

The delivery to Hoffman has me confused as there was a West Coast distributor, Competition Motors. Perhaps the owner was attending a PCA event back East and took delivery at Hoffman and drove it home?

By the way, the Kardex for my car shows only Competition Motors; no dealer. The original owner lived in Santa Ana.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

a.w. homan wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:07 pm 2. No surprise Hoffman was the importer. But the buyer was in Los Angeles. Would the Kardex normally list the dealership between the importer and the ultimate buyer? Or, should I read this that Hoffman was the dealership that sold the car directly to its first owner?
I don't think there was a 'normal' method for listing details on the Kardex form. Your car was likely ordered by Mr. Wells through one of the Competition Motors dealership locations in the greater Los Angeles area (there were several by 1961). My May delivery '58 Kardex shows service work by Hoffman in September and then again by Competition in October. Maybe a demo car for a couple of months, and then shipped to LA - who knows? Good that you at least have a name to start with making chain of ownership research a bit easier!
Sorry, I can't help with the German writing. Good luck!
58 Kardex 150461 (Large).jpg
58 Kardex 150461 (Large).jpg (204.75 KiB) Viewed 553 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

#4 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

Hi Bill, really hard to read but I am almost sure it says ‚Achtung Siehe Vg. 64.246. Kunde wusste nichts von Motortausch 085607 in 89922‘(or 89932). Note: It seems there is something missing where I put the *. And below it reads ‚ED. Wells. President of PCA Region Los Angeles lt Vg. 5.3.64‘. This translates to ‚Attention, see Vg. 64.246. Customer didn‘t know about engine change from 085607 to 89922‘. I am unclear about the meaning of the abbreviation ‚Vg‘ - it could stand for ‚Vorgang‘ (operation) which would make sense in relation to some activity under warranty. 64 indicates that this was done in 1964 and 246 could be some type of sequential number. The second time where it mentions ‚lt Vg. 5.3.64‘ (where lt stands for ‚laut‘ = according to) it could refer to some operation done on the 5th of March 1964. I hope this does not add any extra confusion! Robert

Robert Braunsberger
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert Braunsberger »

after all, I forgot to put the *, it was meant to be here: ...Achtung Siehe Vg. */ 64.246...

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Excellent work, Robert!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Bill Homan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bill Homan »