How to replace burned out interior lights on my 64c

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Parolini
356 Fan

How to replace burned out interior lights on my 64c

#1 Post by Jason Parolini »

All of the interior lights on my 64c are burned out. In particular there are lights on both the driver & passenger side of the car with a little metal collar. I assume that you somehow pop this off (flat head screw driver?) to then remove the plastic cover to replace the bulb. How do I remove the metal collar? I don't want to damage it (bend or break) in attempting to remove it. Thanks

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: How to replace burned out interior lights on my 64c

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Just gently pry up ends of light. Looking at picture of the side of light showing spring that retains it will help: https://www.stoddard.com/90163210100.html
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

As you can see in the pics that Doug provided, you don't need to remove the lens to replace the bulbs. When you say all the interiot lights are burned out, do you mean just the dome lights or the one on the dash as well? You might want to check for a burned out fuse as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

The lens and metal collar I think are all one piece of plastic that once removed has a bulb in from the back side.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Jason
If all of the interior lights are burned out, could it be that your car was converted to twelve volts and the bulbs were still six volts? Make sure each bulb has a clean ground and the bases of the bulbs and sockets are shiny clean...often, 'electrical problems' are simply just bad grounds and dirty connections. A good cleaning can make a world of difference.

Al Cole
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Cole »

The light fixtures are held in place by a piece of metal on the inside of each end that is bent in such a way that it is "springy". It is easy to remove from the headliner by pulling with your fingernails. The spring tension is very low. Once you've got the first one off, you'll see how easy it is to replace the bulb. The bulb is called a Festoon Bulb and you'll want to make sure that you get the correct voltage (6 or 12) and wattage (10 watts is recommended). LED bulbs are the way to go. It has already been mentioned to check grounds and fuse but I'd like to add to be sure to check the switch in the door jambs are clean and work properly (they should be easy to push in and then spring right back).
AL Cole
'62 S-90 Cabrio.
'64 C Coupe
Paris Mtn., S.C.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good points, Al. Let me add that if the car has been repainted, the door switches need to have a good ground to the body.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jason Parolini »

Thanks to all for the (as always) useful feedback. I checked the fuses and they all appear to be in tact. I believe the car is 6 volt and never been converted to 12 volt. The lights "pulled out" without to much trouble and no damage. Al Cole recommended LED bulb replacements which makes sense. Any recommendations for where to buy 6 volt 10 watt LED festoon bulbs?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jason: I looked for some on eBay and other sites but only came up with 12V ones. Possibly LEDtronics in California? Maybe someone else found a source.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#10 Post by Jason Parolini »

What say you Al Cole? Any recommendations for where to buy 6 volt 10 watt LED festoon bulbs?

Jason Parolini
356 Fan

#11 Post by Jason Parolini »

Ok then.....forget the LED's. Can anyone recommend a good source for a straight replacement of the bulbs that are in the car (6 volt 10 watt)

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jason: our usual suppliers have them: Klasse 356, Stoddard, Sierra Madre, etc. Stoddard is closest to you.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#13 Post by Martin Benade »

I think Jules Dielen sells led dash lights, maybe he has these too.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna