windshield aluminum trim installation for roadster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brad Ripley
356 Fan

Re: windshield aluminum trim installation for roadster

#16 Post by Brad Ripley »

Dan, you mentioned Abarth -- we had one of those at Stoddard's one time in the '80s. I wonder where it went? Let's get the measurements of your glass : outside width at it's widest and height in center. I have access to two Porsche Abarths here locally to check.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bill Lawless »

Even out of the car take a huge amount of patience... Almost impossible with the windshield in the car
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Brett Meyer
356 Fan

#18 Post by Brett Meyer »

Even out of the car take a huge amount of patience... Almost impossible with the windshield in the car--

I agree , I gave up trying to install the original moldings to new bottom rubbers, two different suppliers two different bottom rubbers of course both for a Roadster .
I finally slid the original moldings back onto the original bottom rubber, set rubber w/moldings in place and dropped the windshield down, I did use new base gaskets and a new upper seal from Tim Goodrich.
 '60 Roadster -87234- Mom & Dad purchased in 1960

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#19 Post by Eric Meyer »

This is BY FAR the toughest job on any 356 restoration. It is truly incredibly hard. Search these forums for roadster and convertible D windshield installation. Don’t take it to a glass shop unless the installer has experience on a roadster or convertible D.

Read everything... print it out... read it again and again until you fully grock it. It takes me many many hours usually. If you’ve never done it... expect to cuss extensively... and start over probably 20-30 times in order to get it right.

Dan Haden
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dan Haden »

Brad -

When my shoulder is up to it, I will drag out the windshield along with the old PPG one and photograph them on top of each other and try to figure out some useful dimensions of the mystery glass. Any help in identifying it would be greatly appreciated.