Burned out passenger headlight. East fix?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jason Parolini
356 Fan

Burned out passenger headlight. East fix?

#1 Post by Jason Parolini »

The passenger headlight on my 64 356c is burned out. Is this a relatively simply fix? Can someone with modest mechanical skills and experience tackle this job? Any resources for reference to this particular job? And finally, any place you recommend (Pelican?) for purchasing the offending (dead) bulb?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Burned out passenger headlight. East fix?

#2 Post by David Jones »

Do you have sealed beans or actual bulbs? Bulbs are easy sealed beams require some dexterity as there are a number of securing clips involved. Remove the headlight and post a picture of the rear and connection
Sealed beam units should be available at local parts stores for about $10.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#3 Post by WilliamVaughan »

There was a posting to the talk list (many years ago) warning of flying spring clips. Author advocated using a cloth over the clips when manipulating them to keep them from flying into the face.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

There are 2-different sets of clips in the headlight assembly; For the retainer and the other for the rim.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Nearly identical to early VW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gitC1RJeXT4
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Dick Weiss wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:10 am There are 2-different sets of clips in the headlight assembly; For the retainer and the other for the rim.
YES! It's important to use the proper ones in the correct location; otherwise it gets REALLY difficult to install. Wear safety glasses.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

My tool for removing and installing the clips is a flat blade screwdriver with a slot cut in the tip. As stated, there are two sets of clips. Only remove the ones holding the sealed beam.

Wear safety glasses!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#8 Post by Geoff Fleming »

This is a very easy owner/operator fix, comparable to any modern car. The only difference is in adapting to the clips that hold things in place, as mentioned above. The 356 is a car any competent owner can work on without resorting to expensive professional mechanics. Almost every task can be done by people with little mechanical skill, ( greasing, oil change, trans. oil change, fuse replacement, cleaning of electrical connections, etc.). The original owners manual was issued in a time when owners performed routine maintenance and repairs themselves.
Try and locate other owners in your area and you will soon find yourself doing things with the car you may not have thought possible before.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jason: touch base with the Tennessee Tubs, the 356 group in your area.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#10 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

After removing the whole assembly and keeping the headlight ring in position... I put small strips of masking tape with marks noting original positions of the various clips and orientations of the glass to the ring and assembly.
A few notes to myself helped as well. I also took a couple of photos to aid my memory cellS. It was a fairly easy process.
I did this when replacing my assembly with the SMD system.
If a new headlight ring or glass lens is in order, this is a good time to replace them.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster