Wheel alignment problem on 65C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Hussey
356 Fan

Re: Wheel alignment problem on 65C

#16 Post by George Hussey »

and remember to set the radius arms to identical angles
George Hussey

Al Zim
356 Fan

#17 Post by Al Zim »

Jerry: I cannot give you any advice so you can obtain correct measurements as can be done by a computer. If you cannot properly locate the center line on the rear of your 356 nothing else you can do will be correct. This morning we spent time designing tooling to improve king and link pin instillation and have finally resolved how to economically repair the 356A and earlier front spindle grease seals on worn stub axles. This was the accumulated by the purchase of a 15K lathe and designing tooling. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jerry Powell »

In addition to rear camber results(settings) in post #14 above, the rear TOE on each side is 0 degrees.
Cannot get rear camber equal, so my options are to leave it as shown--LR negative and RR positive or
have unequal negative camber on each side by moving the RR spring plate up 50 minutes.
What do you think?

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bill Lawless »

While on "Wheel Alignment" I have a question...
My SC Kardex showed the car came with a Camber Compensator Spring but it is not on the car when I got it??
From reading the Article on CC Spring here, and comments, It looks like it assisted for a softer Torsion Spring..
Could this be why I see wear on the inner tires? Maybe the CC-Spring was removed but it still have the Smaller/Softer Torsion Bars in there?

-Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#20 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I think all the C models had the same size torsion bars; the Cs with the optional camber compensator did not have thinner bars to the best of my knowledge.
Some people claim the SC came with the compensator as standard; I disagree. Your Kardex lists the compensator as an option; it would not be listed if it was a standard item for the car.
If you have excessive wear on the inside of the tread, then you may have too much negative camber.

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#21 Post by Bill Lawless »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:50 am I think all the C models had the same size torsion bars; the Cs with the optional camber compensator did not have thinner bars to the best of my knowledge.
Some people claim the SC came with the compensator as standard; I disagree. Your Kardex lists the compensator as an option; it would not be listed if it was a standard item for the car.
If you have excessive wear on the inside of the tread, then you may have too much negative camber.
Thanks Vic, I was trying to decide if I should pick up a Camber Spring but there pricy..
-Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Al Zim
356 Fan

#22 Post by Al Zim »

Bill and Jerry: I have seen quite a few 356C/SC cars and only a very small percentage of these cars had camber compensatory springs. The Specification book lists a different setting for the torsion bar when the spring is installed. There is a cryptic statement in specs that these were not available on C cars. But I will bet if you wanted one Porsche would have sold it to you. Jerry you can set your rear to in to zero. But you cannot set the suspension so that the front and rear wheels track each other. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Jerry Powell
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jerry Powell »

Al, I understand my limitations on the center line issue but what about my camber question in post 18?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

You can run a string along each rear tire to the front tire. Front track is somewhat wider than rear so you can see where the string meets the front tread to see if it is equal. This will give a good indication whether the car goes straight or not, and some simple trigonometry will help you correct it if needed.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#25 Post by Al Zim »

In the factory Porsche specifications book it shows only one torsion bar for the push rod style engine. That bar is 22MM. The setting is different with a camber setting. If someone has removed the camber compensator you should have a great deal of negative camber on the rear wheel and they will wear heavily ion the inner edge of the wheel.
MARTIN: String is flexible which makes it a very poor straight edge and impossible to triangulate from. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#26 Post by Martin Benade »

I would say string in the right hands can be very accurate. I learned a lot from an old Hungarian who could fix almost anything with very minimal equipment. The depression and WW 2 were good schools for him.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#27 Post by David Jones »

One could eliminate the sagging string lines and the constant trip hazard requiring a reset of the axle stands the string was tied to, by using a couple of cheap laser levels.
https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Sta ... 5149aa9081
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#28 Post by Martin Benade »

That is a good substitute for string
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#29 Post by Thomas Sottile »

If anyone lives near Paramus nj and needs alinement Gaswerks just installed a new hunter with 356 specifications installed in it this unit is wireless and state of the art

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#30 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Gaspar at Gaswerks is one of the most proficient 356 mechanics in the area. His work is always first rate.