DISTRIBUTOR QUESTION

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

DISTRIBUTOR QUESTION

#1 Post by Jay Darlington »

I have two distributors 1, VJR 4 BR25 and a 0231129022. my question is are these the same and is one better than the other? I believe the BR25 is the original to my engine, a 58 1600N it was 40 years ago when I took it apart so i'm not completely sure. the new rebuild has a big bore kit, a R200 SC grind cam and 40mm dellorto carbs. I want to rebuild one of the distributors but really don't know what one.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

Re: DISTRIBUTOR QUESTION

#2 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Jay
The BR25 is a VW distributor
The 022 was used from 8/63 through '67 912's

The correct distributor for your engine would be a VJ- 4 BR 18

Curt

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

Your engine probably came with a VJ4BR9 depending on the date of manufacture. This and all the Factory distributors have the same advance. Get a professional to rebuild your distributor and ask you friends who have had this done who they liked. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#4 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Jay,

The 40 DRLA "Dell's" come with 34mm venturis-might be a bit "stout" for the port and valve sizes on your 1958 N heads.

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jay Darlington »

Glad you mentioned that. i'm getting ready to go through the carbs as soon as I get the distributor going. I have all the new parts to assemble the dist. and need to check with a friend that might have a distributor machine that we can check the advance, I'll also check with a light. i'm going to disassemble the carbs hopefully in the next day or two to see just what I have. I'm hoping someone will have an idea on jet sizes I can start with. I just ordered an ultrasonic cleaner to play with, thought it might work good on the carbs.
Thanks
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Darlington »

Tim just took one of the venturis out and its a 32. i'm thinking the fellow I bought theses from said they should be close to what I need, but how knows. it would be great if someone is running 40 dells and knows what jets and other parts I should check for size.
Jay D.
jay darlington