Fan screen on early A

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

Fan screen on early A

#1 Post by Mark Todorovich »

My 56 Speedster project is getting close. I need a few items and just put up a wanted in classifieds. Torsion bar collar, engine tin, and heater control.

Does anyone have experience in putting a new screen on fan? Is the screen available? The rest of The shroud is in good shape, but if a different one was available we would consider it.

A7855371-3226-4F79-9DC8-A7A625A5E3CB.jpeg
A7855371-3226-4F79-9DC8-A7A625A5E3CB.jpeg (829.03 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Fan screen on early A

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

I think an hour of careful work with needle-nose pliers could get it looking good. If not I will soon remove one that is somewhat better than yours, you are welcome to it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are currently two on the Samba. One is a VW which may be adaptable, the other looks like a repro for an A.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#4 Post by Norm Miller »

Have you considered how much blockage the sum of the wire thickness represents?
It's not necessary as you will know from the sound if anything lodges in the fan.

It is possible that the screen breaks up the molecules making the air softer allowing the fan to move easier promoting more power and cooling.
If you remove all of the screen wires and lay 1/2 vertically and 1/2 horizontally note how much blockage you have.
Perhaps that's why Porsche discontinued using the screen.

According to Wikiglapedi it's copyrighted material.
Last edited by Norm Miller on Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Originality is 1-thing, but practicality is another.
I once added a screen to a F/shroud and it required some fitment.
The later shrouds w/the venturi ring are more efficient for cooling.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mark,
Pretty certian whatever you can do with a needle-nose pliers is gonna be far better than anything you'll get and manage to crimp in place. Besides which, it would take Ab T. (RIP) as a judge to gripe about what you got.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I vote for the needle nose pliers treatment. Once installed, it will be mostly hidden.
Yes, there is a pressure drop across the screen from the area restriction and a second one from the air turbulence due to the screen. But I have to believe that Porsche engineers knew of this and either accounted for it in the fan design or it wasn’t significant enough to worry about, up against the engine horsepower. Functionally during normal operation, anything small enough to get past the engine grille and into the engine bay might get through this screen. Larger items like a leaf or scrap of paper may get through the engine grille sideways but wouldn’t necessarily get past the screen. It might be a safety measure (think mechanic's fingers) or it’s there to keep the really big stuff out, like that missing shop rag. My 2.356 cents...
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bruce Smith »

Anyone know why the Porsche (and VW) stopped using screens?
Bruce Smith

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#9 Post by Wes Bender »

Probably realized that they weren't needed. (That may sound facetious, but not intended that way.)
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

Porsche stopped using screens because they employed a venturi inlet which increased the air flow to the fan. the fan also had a significant increase of blades which moves more air. VW,( although I cannot remember seeing a screen on their engines when I started servicing their cars in 1962) had a a round venturi fitting that was activated by the thermostatic to reduce the air to th fan so the engine would warm up quickly in the winter. This always seemed impossible to adjust so when the engine was out of the car that was removed. Your fan shroud shows distortion on the bottom located at cylinder 3 . I would look through the classified and see if you can locate a shroud in good condition. the engine will look better. You CANNOT use an industrial fan shroud without extensive modifications. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#11 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Damage at cylinder #1; not 3.