Honest opinions on heating system wanted

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Honest opinions on heating system wanted

#31 Post by C J Murray »

Tim Herman wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:15 pm Modern Eberschpacher, TOASTY
Very nice install Tim!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#32 Post by Jim Clement »

where do you put the battery and spare tire ?

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#33 Post by Jim Clement »

Given all the talk of "cold" weather driving and heat..
Here is next weeks forecast for Calgary,, I am thinking I should go for nice 'crisp" drive one evening next week.. just to see if the heater works..
I actually have driven in below freezing temperatures, the car does stay warm, but I as well have to crack the window open to get the heat to flow into the car..
I will admit my fresh air vents are not fully functional, I am working on that this winter, and hoping that will make a difference.
Attachments
Calgary next week.PNG
Calgary next week.PNG (76.09 KiB) Viewed 484 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#34 Post by Martin Benade »

The battery is pictured in the normal spot. I think if the tee was vertical the spare would fit fine. I used to carry a good-sized toolbox where the heater is shown and the spare fit fine (T6)
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Benade »

My wife just told me that it will be 60 degrees F tomorrow here in tropical Cleveland. My heat is not connected, but I see a ride coming.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#36 Post by Geoff Fleming »

There is more than ample space for the spare tire and battery with the gas heater installed. Even when Porsche used the far bulkier Eberspacher BN4 on the T-6 cars, there was room. The modern units are much more effective, smaller and more reliable also.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#37 Post by Martin Benade »

Tim, what model heater is that? Was it pretty expensive?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Brooks
356 Fan

#38 Post by John Brooks »

Here is a link to the manuals. For what we have tested here so far the 2KW heater is more than enough for a 356. Other than the electronic controler I can not see much deference in the design between the German manual and the chinglish version. The 8kW unit I put in the VW camper is really too big, but works super. Even with the top up, and slider open.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10170 ... tml#manual
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Lou Mele
356 Fan

#39 Post by Lou Mele »

I see that this is an old thread but havent had issues with my heater until now as I live in So Cal. I was on my way to our favorite "curb side" pick up spot and decided to open the heater boxes to take the chill off. They opened just fine but do not appear to be closing. Is this my imagination or have I just never noticed that they just keep pouring heat in? I do not have a lift and the clearance, now many year later, exceeds by girth...hoping someone has the easy fix short of jacking it up and sliding under. Much thanks, "Sweet" Lou Mele 1963 B

Douglas Madsen
356 Fan

#40 Post by Douglas Madsen »

Alan,
Our '63 cab keeps the cabin temp in the mid 70's, when it is 30-40 outside.
The heater and the fresh air diverter ( in the trunk ) must be adjusted and working correctly.
Our last trip some months ago, which was from Dallas to Wyoming ( Yellowstone ), had us bundled up in the mornings and removing layers after a few miles.
Doug

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#41 Post by Paul Lima »

I live In Carson City at 4700 ft, 15 miles from Tahoe. It gets cold here in the winter (daytime temps below freezing). We like to drive our Roadster all year long, so when I built our 1883 cc engine in 2019, I went out of my way, both time and $$, to build the best stock heater I could. Yes, it produces warm air, but the quote of "like a kitten breathing on your ankle" is pretty accurate. When we make a long upgrade over one of our mountain passed with near full throttle, enough heat appears to seem to make it worthwhile, but on the downgrade nearly nothing comes through. I just finished building a new 2011 cc engine, and skipped all the expensive heater related junk.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#42 Post by Al Zim »

I can remember the cold we had it here last week (Dallas Texas) and the cold in southern Ohio. In southern Ohio I drove a Porsche powered VW which even in the dead of winter kept me warm as long as I kept the engine above 2,500 RPM's I suggest you take the engine our of the car and obtain an engine stand which can be bolted to a American engine stand. Then you can remove all the sheet metal clean the oil cooler repair the rubber seals to the engine compartment and if you do not mind the additional noise in the winter remove the heater shut off that is attached to the body you will have plenty of heat. the later cooling fan can help in both the winter and summer.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#43 Post by David Jones »

Al, I remember reading somewhere that it is not a good idea to use the 28 blade fan with the early fan housing. The non volute type housing was not designed for that fan and does not work very efficiently. If you want the 28 blade fan use the fan housing with the volute. Vic has commented that the 16 blade fan is more efficient at high rpm and dyno tests have proven that the fan belt slips anyway at around 4K rpm so the reality is that in order to get heat out of the stock 356 system or indeed the VW system you have to be under load and around 3K plus rpm to obtain much more than a warm breath on your ankles. The other solution other than an Eberspacher type unit is the Euro heat system which does keep you toasty warm well below 32*F. I prefer to drive the boxster when it is really cold or one of my cars with heated seats and wheel. You are correct about making sure the system is well sealed to contain the cooling air and therefore the heat in the system.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#44 Post by Dick Weiss »

All in all, proper adjustments of all parts are required on the USA system to get heat into the cabin.
I once added a Euro system to a twin-grill '62 Roadster as his wife wanted heat even when the top was down!
It wasn't easy as roadsters weren't equipped w/it and some clearances were difficult underneath during installation.
BUT, it worked very well and it still exists--it's presently for sale in Northern KY.

I did weigh the differences between a complete UISA system vs. a complete Euro system (ALL parts on both)
and the total is 26 additional lbs. w/the Euro system, but--you will get FRESH AIR heat!

Craig Colaluca
356 Fan

#45 Post by Craig Colaluca »

If it’s a true statement “if there isn’t oil under it, then there isn’t oil in it” then that means your American heater boxes will likely be oil coated and therefore your heat will stink like petroleum. Which means you arrive to your destination smelling like a spark plug. That’s the case in both of my cars if I use my heaters.
I’m ready to figure out something else and remove my heater boxes. I bought one of the Chinese copies of the Eberspacher but other maintenance has kept me from installing it for this season. Hopefully I’ll be ready for next winter.
76 911S Coupe
91 964 C2 Targa
92 964 C2 Coupe
76 BMW 2002 (my handsome son’s car)
66 Mercedes 230SL Pagoda (my beautiful wife’s car)
Greenville, SC