Transportation of parts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
C Richey
356 Fan

Transportation of parts

#1 Post by C Richey »

Transportation of parts

Seeking a recommendation for shipping parts Seattle Washington to Tampa Florida. Rims,
heads, Euro exhaust etc, .approximately 600 lbs. Also a set of tires, 4, not mount.

Thank you

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Transportation of parts

#2 Post by David Jones »

I would think OTR like Yellow Freight or similar. Pick up a wooden pallet and wrap them up and strap them down. Ship them depot to depot drop off and pick up.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

Build a plywood box on a wood pallet. Carefully pack it and make a hold down for all the heavy stuff. Make the box strong with 2x4 frame and 1/2 plywood skin. Cover it with a trash bag plastic Screw the plywood sides and mark it top load only with sprat paint. The trucking company will charge you for a 4x4x4 cube.

The take it to a trucking terminal and GBL it to Florida, you can do a door to door or terminal to terminal.
Last edited by John Brooks on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

In several smaller packages Greyhound might be a possibility. I have heard they can do well for parts shipping.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Martin, that's a long way to send by Greyhound. It would be very risky in my opinion. It may get transferred bus to bus more than a few times.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

Maybe it’s a bad idea, I never used it myself
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jay Darlington »

do like John B. said. I use to manage a parts dept. for large tug boat co. and had to ship large and sometimes very valuable parts. take the time to box them and carefully pack them inside a box on a pallet.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#8 Post by Don Gale »

I shipped a heavy differential last year. The cheapest carrier I found was Bus Freight. They have a strict 100 lb max limit so you'll have to divvy up the parts into separate boxes. There should be multiple receiving terminals near the destination city. The recipient will have to pick them up at the designated terminal.

https://www.busfreighter.com/
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Tony Proasi
Classifieds Moderator

#9 Post by Tony Proasi »

I have had good luck using Fastenal. You can drop and pick up at your local store. I just shipped a disassembled British motorcycle and it was @ 300.00

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#10 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

I had bad luck using UPS Freight for shipping a 356 door. We built a sturdy crate using 4 x 4 braces and UPS somehow rammed it and split one of the braces and dented the door. Definitely use a decent crate. Which "Shipping and Damaging Company" to use will be your choice. My company stopped using UPS Freight after this incident and their poor response and settlement.

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#11 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

If anyone wants more background information on declared value, insurance, documentation, and labeling I suggest reading "Legal Files" by John Draneas in Sports Car Market Magazine from a few months ago. My wife just took a box of my magazines to storage so I don't know what month it was in. I told my wife not to touch my SCM, 356 Registry, Roundel magazines and she took them away anyways. Then she tells me I won't be able to find them in the storage locker. Something about the box breaking and the magazines falling out all over the place.

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#12 Post by Don Gale »

Leo Dreisilker wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:14 pm I had bad luck using UPS Freight for shipping a 356 door. We built a sturdy crate using 4 x 4 braces and UPS somehow rammed it and split one of the braces and dented the door. Definitely use a decent crate. Which "Shipping and Damaging Company" to use will be your choice. My company stopped using UPS Freight after this incident and their poor response and settlement.
Reminds me of a similar incident I had with a BMW diff I purchased from Autobahn in El Cajon. I called them a week after it should have been delivered and they said UPS shipped to NY by mistake but they discovered the error and sent it back to Autobahn and they would send it to me as soon as it returned. Still didn't arrive in a timely fashion so I called them again. This time it made it back from NY but during the 2nd shipment to me, it was on a freight train that derailed in Pico Rivera. UPS dug it out of the wreckage and sent it back to Autobahn. Autobahn inspected it and determined it survived without damage and finally delivered it to me. To make a long story long, I put it in my son's 535i, ran great until he and his buddies decided to do donuts in a dirt lot and blew out the spider gears.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jay Darlington »

you might try YRC freight co. they are one of the largest freight co. in the US. they should be able to ship straight through on there own trucks. if you use a smaller freight co. that doesn't go east that far they will have to turn it to another co. when they have to do that price usually goes up considerably. don't be fooled be not packaging properly. these freight guys can break a cannon ball, I've seen the results many times.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Alfred Knittel
356 Fan

#14 Post by Alfred Knittel »

American Fast freight. In Kent Wa box it good used them a few times never had a problem
1954 coup
1959 Cab
1959 super coup
1970 240z first year
1971 240z

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#15 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Definitely make a box with 4”x4” frame and plywood skin. Use wood glue on all the sides. It makes a big difference in strength. Sheetrock screws aren’t that tough. My shop has had good luck with YRC, but call around to the various freight companies and get some quotes. J