Transportation of parts

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Larry Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Transportation of parts

#16 Post by Larry Brooks »

I've shipped a few dozen 356 & 911 engines and transaxles across the country over the past few years. I've always used YRC because my company gets a 70% discount. My son worked for many years in a shipping hub for UPS loading trucks. He said that a nice big box will usually be put on the bottom with potentially thousands of pounds on top of it - regardless of what might be written on the box most of the time. Weird shaped packages usually end up on top.

So we would load an engine in the center of a pallet and strap it down. Then wrap it several times with shrink wrap, including over the top. No way to stack something on top of it so it would always be on top.

Never had a problem.

I would box up the smaller parts, strap them and everything else down and wrap it. But make a pyramid shape or taller on one side so nothing can be stacked on top of it. Loaded pallets can weigh thousands of pounds so if one or two were stacked on your box one big bump could spell disaster no matter how strong you made it. We've had a couple people demand boxes so we built them strong and charged them accordingly. I was much more relieved when those shipments arrived Ok than I ever was with our strapped and wrapped pallets!

Jay Broemmel
356 Fan
Instagram: @slouchcycles

#17 Post by Jay Broemmel »

Also, make sure the pallet you are going to use is compatible with a pallet jack. Most of them are but there are some odd balls out there. You could probably Google the dimensions of a pallet jack. J

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#18 Post by Don Gale »

ditto. I built a heavy duty "pallet" for my test stand with 2x6 deck planks and 4x4 skids to fit a pallet jack:

1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#19 Post by Adam Wright »

If you're shipping anything heavy via truck I highly suggest following my step by step article on crating an engine. My crates have gone all over the world, and never failed. Trucking companies are butchers, I know, I drove a forklift on the docks, and insurance pays pennies on the dollar. So pack accordingly.

https://porsche356registry.org/article/26
Attachments
crate3.jpg
crate3.jpg (162.14 KiB) Viewed 306 times
crate2.jpg
crate2.jpg (151.59 KiB) Viewed 306 times
crate1.jpg
crate1.jpg (196 KiB) Viewed 306 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.