American Pickers - Credibility in Question??

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Proctor
356 Fan

American Pickers - Credibility in Question??

#1 Post by Steve Proctor »

Sister-in-law turned me on to an American Pickers episode Season 20, Episode 23 wherein the pickers uncovered a '57 Speedster that once belonged to Robert Downey, Jr. I found it "On Demand." Repainted, kinda rusty, not bumper deco and a few other shortcomings, priced way too high for the condition but trading on the "name" owner. Most interesting part of the show was a few clips of Speedsters being driven and a few pictures. One of the pictures was an obvious replica, but the worst gaffe of all was an example of the "spartan interior" found in Speedsters. They seemed to be generally knowledgeable, but could have used some help on this one...
Attachments
Bogus 1.JPG
Bogus 1.JPG (85.78 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
Bogus 2.JPG
Bogus 2.JPG (99.54 KiB) Viewed 3178 times
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

Re: American Pickers - Credibility in Question??

#2 Post by Richard Emerson »

That hurts to look at.

Simon Whittley
356 Fan

#3 Post by Simon Whittley »

I think Mike Wolfe is a 356 owner himself so I guess they have a bit of knowledge on the subject?
Simon

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

I actually bought a car that appeared on their show. The name of the episode was "No-Sale Dennis". A guy in Indiana had a bunch of stuff, Vette, Harley, and a few Porsches, he wouldn't sell anything. In fact he used to go to Harley swap meets with stuff on a table that said, "Not For Sale"!
A few years after the show he died, his heirs sold it all. One guy bought all the Vette and Porsche stuff, but he was a Vette guy so he sold all the Porsche stuff to the "Porsche Guy". There was a decent B Coupe, and two roadsters, one T5 and one T6.

We did a video on the T6.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j2h290tCIQ&t=5s

But the other thing to know about this show and every other reality show, they are almost all fake. Good entertainment, but I can't watch them, it's too easy to poke holes in the stories.
Attachments
nshop200.JPG
nshop200.JPG (568.85 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Looks like a bloody Alfa to me. Not sure about the speedster; replica?

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

I ran the license plate number on the "speedster" and it is a replica. Started life as a 68 VW. For those who really want to know it was a blue one.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

David Jones wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:41 pm I ran the license plate number on the "speedster" and it is a replica. Started life as a 68 VW. For those who really want to know it was a blue one.
:D :D :D

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Assuming that dash shot was an Alfa, now I see why 356 people often like them- the key is on the left where it belongs!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#9 Post by John Hearn »

Martin Benade on 31 Dec 2019, 02:19 said
"Assuming that dash shot was an Alfa, now I see why 356 people often like them- the key is on the left where it belongs!"
Sorry to say Martin the key is to the right on Speedsters, only on the left in right hand drive cars..............
KTF
John

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

John Hearn wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:48 am Martin Benade on 31 Dec 2019, 02:19 said
"Assuming that dash shot was an Alfa, now I see why 356 people often like them- the key is on the left where it belongs!"
Sorry to say Martin the key is to the right on Speedsters, only on the left in right hand drive cars..............
KTF
John
Uhh...It's on the left on all left-hand drive coupes and cabriolets.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#11 Post by C J Murray »

Mine is on the shifter. Saab had it right!
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#12 Post by Bruce Smith »

My brother-in-law was on Pickers as one of their 'free-styles', where they supposedly drive around looking for random places to pick. They spent days setting the whole thing up. It's designed for entertainment. I like what Mike likes, so I watch it.
Bruce Smith

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#13 Post by Steve Proctor »

Yes, Bruce. I recently read of the difference between Reality Shows and Documentaries.

Reality Shows: "Reality television has faced significant criticism since its rise in popularity. Critics argue that reality television shows do not accurately reflect reality, in ways both implicit (participants being placed in artificial situations), and deceptive (misleading editing, participants being coached on behavior, story lines generated ahead of time, scenes being staged). Some shows have been accused of rigging the favorite or underdog to win. Other criticisms of reality television shows include that they are intended to humiliate or exploit participants; that they make stars out of untalented people unworthy of fame, infamous figures, or both; and that they glamorize vulgarity."

Documentaries: "Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences(AMPAS) defines Documentaries as Films dealing with historical, social, scientific, or economic subjects, either photographed in actual occurrence or re-enacted, where the emphasis is more on factual content than entertainment."
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#14 Post by Mike Wilson »

I wholeheartedly agree with the assessment.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#15 Post by Wes Bender »

It's intended for entertainment and, in that capacity, I believe it has been successful. A good reference source it isn't.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....