Remote Starter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Sterling
356 Fan

Remote Starter

#1 Post by Richard Sterling »

I need a remote starter that will work on my 356C, 6 Volt ignition. Most parts houses have them but they are for 12 Volt ignitions. Will a 12 Volt switch work on a 6 Volt ignition? If not, can a 12 Volt switch be modified to work. Can I make my own?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: Remote Starter

#2 Post by Martin Benade »

Do you mean a push button with wires and alligator clips? That kind doesn’t care about the voltage. If you mean a winter warmup style from the comfort of your house, you are out of luck.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

When I install the aux starter relay in a car, I always run another momentary push switch up mounted by the voltage regulator. This allows me to crank the motor from the back. Easy to do and comes in handy when working on the engine.

As far as remote control type of cold start, I would not recommend that at all, since there re no chokes on the carbs. You will run the battery down before it catches,
Last edited by John Brooks on Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

Aren't those automatic spell correctors the pits?
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

Yes, I am frequently annoyed by them.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

This is not a difficult procedure if you have a starter relay on the car. DISCONNECT THE BATTERY You will place two switches on a suitable bracket on the left side of the regulator. One will be a push button switch and the other will be a toggle switch like was used on lights and small motors with two wires coming out of the switch. You can use two toggle switches but you must shut off the starter switch as the engine starts.You will run a wire from the starter relay or the push on connector on the starter next to the wire that comes through the area next to number 1 cylinder, run this wire to one of the switches. Run another wire from the other switch to the #15 on the coil this should be a push on connector. Mount the switches in your aluminum or plastic piece that attaches to the voltage regulator base. Attach the wire that connects the two switches to the B+ on the regulator. This may be a push on or a screw on connector depending who has been there before you. Touch the ground wire which you have removed to the battery if you have no sparks you should be ready to go. The switch to the coil overrides the ignition switch. I have been successful cranking the engine till I think the carbs are full of gas and starting. Usually it will keep running till I get to the back of the car. I am not as quick as I was 50 year ago. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#7 Post by David Jones »

If you do not want to actually start the car but just spin the engine over from the engine compartment then just a momentary push button switch will work. Connect wires to the two terminals then cover them with heat shrink tubing and shrink on then connect the two ends, one to B+ on the regulator and one to the solenoid connection on the starter motor with a piggy back push on connector, or a ring terminal if it is the older variety of starter solenoid. Now just press the switch with your thumb when you need to bump the engine of it you want to start the car just turn the ignition on. If you want to turn the engine off either take the short walk to the drivers seat or just pull the coil wire off, either will do, hot side ot distributor side. Because it is fully insulated you can leave the switch hanging in the engine compartment safely as long as it is not where it can get caught up in fan belt or carb linkage or worse, the fan.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Button ... 17&sr=8-13
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#8 Post by Mark Roth »

A simple wiring diagram would be useful for us amateurs who can’t follow the verbal descriptions.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)