356 Headlining

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

356 Headlining

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
After the accident I had in France in the 356 in June, the car has been at the body shop. when the car went in for repair to where the Red deer hit me straight in the side, we decided to media blast the whole car down to bare metal. Good Idea? Not! Well not in my opinion, as it has exposed numerous poorly done repairs from the last 58 years! All of these issues are being properly addressed and redone where needed, but where the inside headlining has been removed to work on the various rust issues and repairs around the windows it will now not be able to be refitted. How does the headlining get replaced with new? Does anyone sell a kit? This is for a RHD 61 356 B T5 Coupe with the white 'pin dot' headlining.
All I want for Christmas is my 356 back, not going to happen this year or anytime soon. Thanks for any advice, and can I take this opportunity to wish all 356 Registry members a Very Happy Christmas and a happy new year, Feliz Navidad y Prospero An'o y felicidad
Best wishes Jay

Ashley James
356 Fan

Re: 356 Headlining

#2 Post by Ashley James »

I bought my interior from Lakewell.com and it included a headliner of the correct and original design in the correct material. Lake well are in Belgium and if your windows are out this is the time to fit a new one.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

Plenty of kits out there but none of them use the original type material. The original type material has not been available for years
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#4 Post by Don Gale »

A quick Google search brings up several sources in or near the UK:

http://www.lakewell.com (Belgium, act quickly before Brexit takes effect)

http://www.wonderlandclassics.com/headliners/

http://www.design911.co.uk

as well as many others. Also numerous listings on ebay.uk

Various US vendors stock them and likely and provide international shipping.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Doug McDonnell »

There are plenty of places to buy a headliner as mentioned. The headliner bows have small rubber ends on them which you will probably need new also. Check PR Services for those. No sense paying postage from the USA. I am referring to these: https://www.stoddard.com/64455551500.html.html Of course doing the headliner you will want to re-stuff your sun visors and dye them. The slippery slope has caught you.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

It’s not easy to install one beautifully. Is the shop already well practiced at doing a 356 headlining? It can take a couple of weeks to get it right. Normally the main top part is installed and then the various edges are clamped in place with LOTs of clamps. Then give things time to relax and fine-tune the tension and flatness. Harry DeNoers has some good pictures of his being done correctly.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ashley James
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ashley James »

The Lakewell headliner that came out of my 356C looked and Lakewell claimed it was the same as originally fitted and the same as the material that came out. Have a look at their site because they’re supposed to be the best, or so I was told.

My son runs a restoration business and would rather not to fit trim kits, he prefers to make from scratch to ensure a perfect fit. However we were able to to find a German supplier who made the horsehair bases for the front seats so we bought the kit and most of it was to concours standard, though he did have to make armrests and a few other bits. But Lakewell had supplied enough extra leather for this to be possible. I’m sure there are other good suppliers, but I don’t know of them, equally I’m sure Lakewell is a good option and that some are not.

I’ll do photos if required.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

The only seam present is behind the rear quarter windows. Just make sure that is equal both sides. I am sure the Lakewell one would be as good as you can get. They all have a little extra material to trim after fitting. I think I ended up with just over 100 small clamps when I did mine.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Kittel »

Joris Koning wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:14 am Plenty of kits out there but none of them use the original type material. The original type material has not been available for years
I looked at the Lakewell site and while it is hard to see what their material is it does look like the rest of the headliners being offered everywhere. I'd like to see a piece in person, I am from Missiouri, you know the rest
Bob Kittel

John Brooks
356 Fan

#10 Post by John Brooks »

From the ABCGT forum. May be a source here

https://www.abcgt.com/new-forum/forum/m ... headliners
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

John Clarke
356 Fan

#11 Post by John Clarke »

Thanks and best wishes to all, I composed a detailed reply to all individuals who took the time to reply to me and pressed submit only to have it disappear into hyperspace!
Will post again after the main event.
Happy Christmas to you all

Michael Doyle
356 Fan

#12 Post by Michael Doyle »

John Brooks wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:08 am From the ABCGT forum. May be a source here

https://www.abcgt.com/new-forum/forum/m ... headliners
I am the source referred to on the new 356 Coupe Headliner being available at this link. Same information will post here in the Vendor/Products category. Thanks for your interest.

Michael Doyle