Hot coil

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Pascal Zundel
356 Fan

Hot coil

#1 Post by Pascal Zundel »

Hi,
My engine starts well when cold but often refuses to start when hot. Then starts at the first attempt if you let it cool down.
I first thought about vapor lock. Until once when it refused to start even after waiting for more than 1 hour and both fuel pump and carburetors where cold.
I then tried to pull the coil wire from the distributor to boost the spark. It fired at the first sollicitation.
I changed sparking plugs, coil and distributor condensator. It started OK. I took a short drive and tried again. The engine eventually fired but this was very close. The new coil was hot; abnormally so given the short distance covered.
What do you think? Why is the coil getting hot?
Battery's voltage too high (it's a 6-volt Optima - delivering 7 volts+)? Dead voltage regulator?
Suggestions are welcome.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Hot coil

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Could be a bad coil. I'd try swapping it with a known good one insuring it's correctly hooked up.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Fred Winterburn
356 Fan

#3 Post by Fred Winterburn »

Also check your points gap. Too much dwell will make the coil hot. A small points gap increases the dwell and it will also lead to a weak spark as more energy is lost through arcing at the points contacts. Also, once the coil gets really hot, the resistance of the windings increases which will also reduce coil output. Fred
Pascal Zundel wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:09 pm Hi,
My engine starts well when cold but often refuses to start when hot. Then starts at the first attempt if you let it cool down.
I first thought about vapor lock. Until once when it refused to start even after waiting for more than 1 hour and both fuel pump and carburetors where cold.
I then tried to pull the coil wire from the distributor to boost the spark. It fired at the first sollicitation.
I changed sparking plugs, coil and distributor condensator. It started OK. I took a short drive and tried again. The engine eventually fired but this was very close. The new coil was hot; abnormally so given the short distance covered.
What do you think? Why is the coil getting hot?
Battery's voltage too high (it's a 6-volt Optima - delivering 7 volts+)? Dead voltage regulator?
Suggestions are welcome.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

What makes the resistance increase with temp?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good point, Fred. I should have picked up on the hard starting.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Fred Winterburn
356 Fan

#6 Post by Fred Winterburn »

Mike, Could just as likely a bad coil as you suggested. Shorted primary turns perhaps if it's getting hot.
Mike Wilson wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:23 pm Good point, Fred. I should have picked up on the hard starting.

Mike

Fred Winterburn
356 Fan

#7 Post by Fred Winterburn »

Probably not a big contributing factor as the negative temperature coefficient isn't huge. Here's an explanation from the web. www.cirris.com/learning-center/general- ... -of-copper
Martin Benade wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:24 pm What makes the resistance increase with temp?

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

Sounds like a minuscule effect.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna