Engine fires but won't stay running

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

Re: Engine fires but won't stay running

#31 Post by Bob Niemiec »

Also, I removed the top of the carb going to1 and 2, there is fuel in the bowl and the float seems to be functioning correctly. the accelerator pump though doesn't appear to be functioning.

Yes,when I crank the engine and remove a fuel line going it will from one of the lines pump gas maybe an ounce in 10 seconds or so of cranking

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#32 Post by Martin Benade »

Sounds like the carbs are seriously plugged up.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#33 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:43 pm Sounds like the carbs are seriously plugged up.
We have fuel in the tank and fuel all the way to the float bowls, and no farther, by jet or by accel pump?
By personal experience, I know this condition is possible, but if it is so, you have two carbs which require rebop and a fuel system which needs cleaning end-to-end and perhaps a gas tank replacement or 'sealant'.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#34 Post by Bob Niemiec »

That's what is seems like but the fuel filter near the priming pump looks good, there wasn't any debris or flow issue in the filter going from the main fuel pump to the carbs, there really wasn't any sediment or anything in the bowl of the 1, 2 carb where I took the top off nor were the inlet screens in the carbs themselves plugged. Both the main and idle jests were clean and not plugged. I would think that if the carbs themselves were seriously plugged. it would have manifested itself with noticeable debris in any areas mentioned above.
One thing that is interesting though is that the main pump will pump fuel to both carbs. The primer pump wasn't working but that turned out to be the switch as when I touched the 2 wires going to the switch together the pump seemed to work i.e. it made sounds like it always did when I turned it on though weirdly it DIDN'T pump any gas. I need to see what's going on here.

Bob Niemiec

Registry #6070
'63 'Cab

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#35 Post by Martin Benade »

Is it the type of pump that clicks rapidly and then slows and stops when the carbs are full? If it was going full speed then the inlet might be plugged or very restricted. Maybe the mechanical pump is only able to pump what little fuel slowly seeps into the line, not continuously.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#36 Post by Dick Weiss »

Bob,

Hope your restoration of 30 years ago isn't the age of the fuel pump having a non-flexible diaphragm.
I assume the pump was rebuilt a couple of times but not having a electrical pump for priming (I never use one),
and fuel delivery to the carbs is the issue, I'd check the pump. Which pump exists--vertical or horizontal version?

BTW, I never start an engine "dry of fuel" until oil is primed thru the engine for a minute or two, and a fuel filter,
under the floorboard? As David Jones said previously, " the car already has 3-fuel filters--you don't need more".
Has your fuel tank been cleaned and sealed? Fuel stations have been directed to replace tanks w/plastic for years.
UNLESS(?)

Dick

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#37 Post by Dick Weiss »

BTW, Bob; If the pump was rebuilt, did you (or mechanic) reassemble it correctly per instructions per pump?

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#38 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Bob, a friendly recommendation to lose the fuel filter in the engine compartment. If you need that filter, relocate it to the line under the car and of course secure it properly. Good luck with finding the solution to your problem. BTW, how old is the gas in your car?

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#39 Post by Bob Niemiec »

Thanks to all who have responded... to respond to the responses. I rebuilt the main fuel pump maybe 12-15 years ago and its been working fine I don't recall exactly how it was rebuilt but I do vaguely remember something about a pre load but maybe I'm thinking about something else. Its vertical. the priming pump wasn't working at all and may have been a restriction in getting the proper amount of fuel and pressure to the carbs. I doesn't quick click when its operating its more like a bumping sound but even when it does that it wasn't pushing any fuel. Its a Bosch pump but I'm going to replace it. I had a Walbro before this but the ethanol turned the rubber parts in it to mush but that was a long time ago. The fuel flows through the pump then the filter in the engine compartment pretty well with seeming little restriction. The gas is pretty fresh. there were a few gallons in it that were maybe a couple of months old then I put ~3 fresh gallons in it about a week ago.

Bob Niemiec
Registry #6070
'63 Cab

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

- GOT IT RUNNING!!! Webers need rebuilding?

#40 Post by Bob Niemiec »

We'll I replaced the primer pump which wasn't pumping anything and probably was doing more to block the fuel flow and got it started and running. I'm not exactly sure why there was some getting to the carbs with the regular fuel pump but it still wouldn't start. Anyway its still not running as smooth as it should and I'm still not getting the accelerator pump squirt in carbs 1 and 2.
As its been 30 years since I put them on the car I'm thinking they need to be rebuilt and if nothing else the passageways cleaned. Anyone know someone good that can do this they can recommend? I looked through the vendor list and it has people that will rebuild Solexes and Zeniths but dint see anyone for Webers.

Thanks in advance,

Bob Niemiec
Registry #6070
'63 Cab

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#41 Post by David Jones »

Bob, you don't say where you are. If you are near me I would rebuild them for you. If you are not near me then find a VW mechanic with grey or white hair or at least a few wrinkles if no hair and buy him a few beers. As long as you have the rebuild kits Webers are not that difficult to rebuild. especially if they already have the right size jets.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#42 Post by Bob Niemiec »

David,

Are you the David Jones that used to have Boxster and worked at the Sohio refinery in Ohio? I used to live in Ohio but now I'm in San Antonio. Yes the Webers appear to be more straightforward then the SU's I had to rebuild on my E Type earlier this year but I really don't have the time to do ir myself as I travel a lot.

Bob Niemiec
Registry #6070
'63 Cab

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#43 Post by Martin Benade »

I am afraid your work is interfering with your hobby.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#44 Post by David Jones »

Still have the boxster Bob. Had to rebuild the tiptronic in 2011 just before I retired from the refinery.
Shoot me an E-mail and we can get caught up.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715