Engine fires but won't stay running

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Spike Jones
356 Fan

Re: Engine fires but won't stay running

#16 Post by Spike Jones »

I had a similar problem last year. Check the line from your primer pump to be sure that it is not kinked. Don't ask how I know!
Even though the electric pump is not working, the fuel is likely still routed through it. It definitely sounds like a fuel delivery problem.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#17 Post by Bob Niemiec »

Thank you all for your responses. I’m on the road this week and won’t be back until the weekend so I won’t be able to test many of the suggestions above. Just to level set everyone I just put gas in it and it has about a 1/2 tank. I usually drive it 2-3 times a month. Based on everything that’s been said it appears to be a fuel problem. The primer pump under the passenger floorboard does not appear to be functioning but the main mechanical pump is getting gas to the carbs but I think it appears that’s where it stops as the one plug I pulled should have been but wasn’t wet with gas. When I get back I’ll pull and clean the idle and main jets as well as clean the screen in the carbs themselves I ll also check the priming pump and the filter I thought I put there many years ago now. I’ll also replace it the plugs as an added measure. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for all your help.
Bob

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#18 Post by Glen Getchell »

I'd all but guarantee that this is not your problem, but I'll throw it out there just the same. Back right out of high school (when my father had me convinced that the word , carburetor was a "French word that means do not touch") I pulled into the local Exon station after a rain storm and filled my car's tank. I made it the five of the six blocks home and had to push it the rest of the way. We could not figure out what was wrong. My father and I drained the gas tank and it was crystal clear "almost" drinking water (ironically I knew something wasn't right when I was pumping and even smelled the pump handle, but dumb __s me kept pumping). Anyway it eventually went to a shop and Exon paid for repairs, but it would remain a Gremlin that would not go away. I'd be half way to work and it would cut out. Sometimes a corner would cause it to cut out. In fact I lost my first out of high school job because of the on going problems the water caused which resulted in numerous late to work days after having to call my Mom then borrower her car. It took forever to clear that water from the entire system even after the repairs. Actually it wasn't till I installed a new Weber carb that the problem was gone for ever. Point is, just because you think you put gas it, does not mean you did. Did your problem start right after the last time you put fuel in? 2nd point is that you should never buy gas right after a heavy rain storm.

Glen
64Cx2

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bob Niemiec »

Glen,
Thanks for the suggestion but it doesn’t rain much here in San Antonio. When I got gas on Saturday at the Shell station near me I got about 3 gallons in a gas can and poured that directly into my car.
Bob

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#20 Post by Glen Getchell »

Had the car been sitting with an empty tank for any length of time? Modern gas is hell when wet, but I have found that it can be an extra special kind of hell if it has dried up. Lots of little crusty bits like to find their way into every little hole and then lock them selves in place. I always put stable in anything that will be sitting for any length of time then run it long enough for the treated gas to make it into the carbs. On my generator, I then turn off the fuel and let it run till its dry.

With that said, I don't think it's the carbs. If the carbs you would most likely be able to get it started. Might run like crap, but at least started. No most likely the fuel is not getting to the carbs.

I think you said you put a new filter on. Is it in the correct flow direction?

Glen
64Cx2

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#21 Post by Geoff Fleming »

An additional item to check: are the accelorator pumps functioning? Be sure that you can see four jets of raw fuel being injected into the carb throats when the linkage is pumped. Vital to starting a carb equipped engine.
Of course a full tune up, including setting the valve clearances, timing and float levels is a must.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#22 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And PLEASE STOP using starter fluid. If you were in Motor Cities Group Vic would slap your hand. Check your fuel pump pressure. If fine then use Jerry can with fuel line to fuel pump. Then report back. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38412&p=234256&hili ... id#p234256
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#23 Post by Warren Bender »

+++++ NO starting fluid!!!!!

Bob Niemiec
356 Fan

#24 Post by Bob Niemiec »

Update... I removed and cleaned the screens in the Webers themselves.. not much there. Also removed and cleaned the main and idle jets in both carbs.. again no smoking guns. the mechanical pump is pumping as when I remove the fuel lines going to the carbs and crank the engine fuel flows... so it appears fuel is getting to the carbs. When I think the bowls should be full though and blip the throttle there isn't any fuel from the accelerator pump being injected into the throat of the carbs. Also with all the cranking and throttle blipping you would think there would be a strong smell of gas but there isn't anything nor are the plugs wet with gas. when I do use starter fluid to fire it it only runs on that, it doesn't appear its using its own fuel is there some internal fuel circuit that might be plugged?? I replaced the fuel hose at the top of the bow a few months ago as it started to leak. l'll check those connections though as well

Any thoughts on how to proceed? though based on Glen's post above to looks like I need to remove the top of the carbs and see what's going on there

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#25 Post by Ron LaDow »

Are you sure there's fuel in the float bowls?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

C J Murray
356 Fan

#26 Post by C J Murray »

One more time.

Does the fuel pump fill a container with fuel?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#27 Post by Martin Benade »

It seems true that a 356 will not be able to start if the accelerator pumps are not working, but the disallowed starting fluid should have bypassed that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#28 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Fuel pump must have enough pressure to push fuel up hill to fill the carbs. Measure the fuel pump pressure. Should be 2.0 to 2.5 PSI max.
Last edited by Doug McDonnell on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#29 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Not sure about a '63 but our '61 had a similar problem and replacing the old petcock valve (we tried rebuilding) solved the problem - we figured this out by bypassing the fuel system and ran a fuel line direct to the fuel pump with a fuel container on the other end of the hose - it ran fine and then after replacing the petcock valve it ran on it's own. Good Luck
Author / Photojournalist

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

A couple of days ago I had to disassemble and drill out the passages in my 56 VW s similar petcock. It still passed a little fuel but way too little to run. This was after three or four years of storage.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna