12v armature for Bosch wiper units

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

12v armature for Bosch wiper units

#1 Post by Adrian Rendle »

i am converting a T5 to 12v. has anyone used these units
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.as ... %2D811%2DC
with success? (i would prefer not to use a voltage dropper).

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

Re: 12v armature for Bosch wiper units

#2 Post by Harlan Halsey »

A voltage divider would be by far the easier way to accomplish this, but it needs to be of the switching power supply type. These types have efficiencies approaching 90% while a simple dropping resister has an efficiency of 50%. 50% means that as much power is going heat as to move the wipers. ( I recently bought, tested, and returned a $90 12 to 6 v device from YnZs which, despite it's transistor heat sink had an efficiency of a little less than 50%!) The 6v wiper motor draws about 4 A which means a 25-30 W divider is needed. I've found lower power devices to run the fuel gage and the relays, but not yet found one to run the wiper.

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#3 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Same question here, has anyone used this

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.as ... -955-811-B

for a 1965 SWF wiper motor?

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#4 Post by Paul Lima »

I converted my 6v SWF with the 12v armature. Far simpler and much neater than trying to use a voltage converter or dropping resistor. All appears stock and it works perfectly. Since I had SWF I cannot speak to the Bosch armature, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work perfectly.

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

A 12v conversion has to deal with the fuel gage, the temp gage, and the relays, not just the wiper motor.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#6 Post by Al Zim »

Zim's Autotechnik sells everything you will need to make a complete and satisfactory 12 volt conversion. We have been doing this for at least 15 years. All the parts bolt into place there is NO complicated wiring and we offer a warranty on the parts we sell you. A) You will need a 12 volt starter with 6 volt teeth to properly mesh with the flywheel. Putting a 12 Volt solenoid on your 6 bolt stater will gradually rip the teethe off the flywheel. B) you will need our 12 volt alternator conversion kit. It is impossible to find new armature for the 90MM (read small) generator that was used in the 356C and 912. The regulator available for the generator is rated at 35 amps, the generator maximum out put is 22 amps. This means that the generator will exceed its capacity if the electrical system on your car is not properly maintained. C) If you have trouble with your turn signal improperly manifesting themselves through the tachometer call me. D) HEADLIGHTS Regular seal beam headlights are more than adequate for you car. There is no need to use led headlights. the money saved can be used to improve your instillation. al zim 800.356.2964 www.allzim.com
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Brad Ripley »

The question is purely about the armatures. In that regard, the armatures being discussed will fit only SWF wiper motors, not Bosch.

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Darlington »

mailto:westcoastwipers@gmail.com, you might check this guy.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Adrian Rendle
356 Fan

#9 Post by Adrian Rendle »

thanks for the replies....i am in the UK, but i'll try the 12V armature and report back