steering gear/box

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Douglas
356 Fan

Re: steering gear/box

#16 Post by Steve Douglas »

In the 62 coupe, the pitman arm was very oily, I sucked out the old oil with a suction gun using a small diameter extension tube, Did it on a hot day, but still took several minutes. Refilled with fresh 600 weight gear lube and it hasn't leaked a drop. Cleaned up the steering box area with Mr Clean All-Purpose and washed it off with warm water. Still looks nice.

Mike Kearns
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mike Kearns »

My zf steering box is leaking and I plan on having my mechanic take it off to either install new seals or send it out for rebuild in a few months when he installs my rebuilt Super90 engine. I’d like to drive it some until then. I have tried to shoot some grease and gear oil in the unit but there’s a round slotted baffle just under the refill nut that makes the refilling very slow and I can’t see into the box. It spins but I haven’t tried to pry it out. Does it pop out or should I leave it be? Thanks
Mike Kearns
1961 Super 90 Coupe
2004 911 TT

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#18 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Mike,
You are looking at the top of the peg which is visible when the wheels are straight ahead.
Turn the steering to one side and now you woll be able to easily fill the box with new oil. The peg will be out of the way with the wheels turned off the center position.

Mike Kearns
356 Fan

#19 Post by Mike Kearns »

Great thanks Geoff!
Mike Kearns
1961 Super 90 Coupe
2004 911 TT