Generator Bushing / Spacer Question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Generator Bushing / Spacer Question

#1 Post by Ken Tuvman »

While engine was being overhauled, took the spare generator to a shop that works on 6v systems - it was inspected, serviced and got new brushes. When it was ready, brought the assembly that was on the engine and asked him to service that generator so I'd have a spare - he took the assembly apart and when we referenced the assembly pictures from the factory manual, it didn't show this piece.

I did contact the gentleman who worked on the generator and he says the bushing or spacer fits on the generator shaft - my question - does this fit on the front shaft where the pulley is or on the rear shaft where that attaches to the fan?

Happened to read Bruce Smith's article on generators in current issue of Registry and it looks like it might go on the rear shaft that attaches to fan or are there two bushings / spacers, one for each shaft?
IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3592.JPG (358.52 KiB) Viewed 506 times
IMG_3590.JPG
IMG_3590.JPG (479.13 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Thank You,

Ken
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: Generator Bushing / Spacer Question

#2 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 am While engine was being overhauled, took the spare generator to a shop that works on 6v systems - it was inspected, serviced and got new brushes. When it was ready, brought the assembly that was on the engine and asked him to service that generator so I'd have a spare - he took the assembly apart and when we referenced the assembly pictures from the factory manual, it didn't show this piece. One "Clue" that something is amiss is the generator pulley didn't exactly align with the pulley attached to the crank and the belt seemed a little out of alignment.

I did contact the gentleman who worked on the generator and he says the bushing or spacer fits on the generator shaft - my question - does this fit on the front shaft where the pulley is or on the rear shaft where that attaches to the fan?

Happened to read Bruce Smith's article on generators in current issue of Registry and it looks like it might go on the rear shaft that attaches to fan or are there two bushings / spacers, one for each shaft?

IMG_3592.JPG

IMG_3590.JPG

Thank You,

Ken
Author / Photojournalist

Al Zim
356 Fan

#3 Post by Al Zim »

This piece goes on either end of the generator (one per end) that spaces the fan or pulley hub away from the bearing. Usually we install them with a touch of lock tight to keep them from falling off. No new fields, no new armature, what about the insulation of the wires? I know you have a 1960 356 which was the EXACT year I graduated from high school. al
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Al - thank you for your reply - the gentleman who serviced it is in his 70's and has experience working on Bosch 6v generators - I do know he replaced the brushes and tested it and said it was charging - that was the spare - he's now got the one that was on the engine and when it ran (prior to teardown) the red gen light went off when running but when he tested it he said something was wrong. I hope you are well!
Author / Photojournalist