Seat Belts into my 1960 Roadster

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Scallon
356 Fan

Re: Seat Belts into my 1960 Roadster

#16 Post by Greg Scallon »

Art,
An alternative to the retractable idea is to mount 4 point fixed mount belts. Included in the post below is a write up I did ten years ago about the installation of mine. Personally, if I was going to tear into the car and do some welding, I'd create mounts for a retractable setup, but mine work great and I do like the look. Good luck!
-Greg
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10359&hilit=seat+be ... +speedster
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#17 Post by Mike Wilson »

When I bought my car, it had 4-point belts and at some point, might have had a 5th anti-submarine belt as there was an eye hook in front of the seat. The 4-point may be safer than a 3-point but once tightened up, your mobility is very limited.

Maybe a good alternative is an aviation Y-shaped type that has one attachment behind you but two straps over the shoulders hooking into a lap belt?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Greg Scallon
356 Fan

#18 Post by Greg Scallon »

That's what my set-up is, Mike. One attachment behind, but two straps over the shoulders attaching to the lap belt. I also have a single anti-sub belt coming up from the front. All in all it works really well although you're right about the lack of mobility compared to a retractable system.

What I've toyed with but haven't had the time to delve into is mounting a retractor mechanism to the back firewall where my belts are currently attached, and linking it to the existing belt. It would be bolt in, the same as my current set-up, but with the comfort of retractable belts. A project I may get around to someday. :-)

Cheers,
-Greg
'58 Speedster
'56 VW Deluxe Microbus 

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

Sounds like a great project, Greg. Seems like we all have projects on the burner.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

A 4-point similar to the type in aircraft should work depending upon the attachment points.

There is a company near me, Belt Makers, that fabricates belts as well.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Richard Zarbo
356 Fan

#21 Post by Richard Zarbo »

The roadster has no rear seats to raise so no issues with the PEP 3-point seat belts with retractors affixed to the factory location on the rear side panels. Works very well for us.
61 D'Ieteren Roadster, 71 911, 95 993 Cabrio, 98 993 C2S, 21 Macan S

Wick McConnon
356 Fan

#22 Post by Wick McConnon »

Dan Macdonald wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 pm I have these retractable belts in both my '57 Speedster and '59 Coupe.
Very pleased with them.

https://www.peparts.com/
Dan, I've seen "PEP" belts mentioned several times in the Forum, and would like to learn more about them. The link you provided does not exist. Do you know if they've gone out of business? Thanks!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#23 Post by Mike Wilson »

PEP stood for Precision Engineered Products. They still have a website but I didn't see a product search. When I bought mine from them, there was a label on the webbing for Belt Makers in Torrnce, CA. I found out they were making them for PEP but wouldn't sell them direct. Perhaps they are still making them under their label or another vendor?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Wick McConnon
356 Fan

#24 Post by Wick McConnon »

Wick McConnon wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:32 pm
Dan Macdonald wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 pm I have these retractable belts in both my '57 Speedster and '59 Coupe.
Very pleased with them.

https://www.peparts.com/
Dan, I've seen "PEP" belts mentioned several times in the Forum, and would like to learn more about them. The link you provided does not exist. Do you know if they've gone out of business? Thanks!
I take that back - it does work. Dunno what was going on when I last tried it.