Wheel Restoration Shops in CA

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

#1 Post by Rod R Youssefi »

I obtained a set of 5 correct date stamped wheels for my 1962 356B T6 and was looking for recommendations for shops in CA that do good wheel restoration work. The wheels are in fairly good shape but could use some work. I obviously would want to retain all the original stampings during the restoration process. I live in Northern CA and have been given the names of 2 shops in Southern CA but wanted to hear more from the forum members on possible recs.

Thanks,

Rod

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Wheel Restoration Shops in CA

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've used Perfect Custom Wheels (formerly Bolton's) in Gardena for several rims and very happy with the results. I know others have not had the same experience. Hopefully they will weigh in with their comments. I know there is also an old thread on the topic.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

I used Perfect Custom Wheels this year for 5 steel wheels. They did a great job.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jay Wiener »

I’ve used Andre at custom wheel in van nuys. 356 through 993 rims. Make sure you get them straightened, cracks welded and then sandblasted, and painter or powder coated

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I had a bicycle frame with ornate frame lugs powder coated and a lot of detail and crispness was lost at the sharp edges where the lug-to-tube difference is approximately 1.5 -2.0 mm. Whether that was the powder thickness, the powder coat process or the applicator I don't know but I could see this possibly happening with original wheel stampings being more shallow than that. But then I haven't had a wheel powder coated.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Rod R Youssefi
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rod R Youssefi »

Great thanks for the advice. I did not know Boltons had changed their name. Very helpful.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Proctor »

Many (about 35) years ago, I had some wheels powder coated. The powder did not penetrate down into the crease where the rim met the wheel center, it bridged that gap in several places. Bogus. Don't know if that is common or unique to my case.

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Leo Dreisilker
356 Fan

#8 Post by Leo Dreisilker »

My 5 wheels were done at Boltons before the name or ownership change. I had them widened and then chromed. One wheel developed rust pitting in the second lip while sitting in my garage after a few years and I sent it back and had to pay for it which I expected. All others have held up well. I wish the chroming and polishing would go a little deeper into the crease where the center meets the wheel.

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#9 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

any suggestions for wheel resto in the northeast,chroming notably, thx tom tuccillo

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thomas, I Googled "chrome wheel restoration" and came up with RGX in the northeast, the Carolinas, etc.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#11 Post by Thomas Tuccillo »

mike thx for the lead on the wheel resto!!!!! tom

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

As always, glad to be of help, Tom. Keep us posted as others in your area may also need to have rims done.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

I had the 5 original chromed wheels on my 64 'C' stripped and re-chromed at Perfect Custom Wheels in the La Area about 4 years ago. To check out the quality I had the worst (rust pits) done first and found the quality extremely good. Sent the other four and was satisfied with the quality. Only one problem, the shop guy that I talked with was Hispanic and very hard to understand. But we got it done.

Jürgen

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#14 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I had a set of mismatched dated wheels chromed a few years ago at Bolton's/PCW and have been happy with the chrome. I was initially sent a matched set of someone else's wheels. They asked that I send that set back before they found and would return my wheels. It got a little messy with the arrangements and reimbursement for shipping costs because of minor language difficulties. I none-the-less would consider using them again if I ever found a set that matches my spare wheel date.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#15 Post by Mike Wilson »

Tom: they sometimes have original centers so you might want to ask them about what types and dates they have.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe