Holiday ride of shame

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Holiday ride of shame

#151 Post by Dan Epperly » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:03 pm

Steve Turino wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:33 pm
This is an amazingly fascinating and informative thread for someone just embarking on an engine rebuild. Very sorry for your troubles Dan, but thank you none the less.
Thanks Steve, I figure all of us novices need to share our experiences to avoid making the same mistakes or to learn what works and what doesn't.
I will eventually get around to measuring the heads, that should determine whether or not it was the part that failed or the mechanic.
Right now my garage looks like a paint booth...

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#152 Post by Mike Horton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:35 am

Dan, not neccessarily your fault, but you stepped into a trap. These heads and P/C were evidently purpose mated long ago, likely to save the over cut head chamber volumes (yet to be determined), and the custom work, known only to the machinist and the owner then. In truth, the correct use, and suitability of these pieces, to work with each other, is the responsibility of any assembler, and that, may well be the takeaway in this tale. This prior mishmash of various parts, is why my recent S90 build, has taken the betfer part of 2 years, and many hours of research. If it was easy, anyone could do this stuff. Like others here, I laud this thread, and it's teaching value to all. As these cars, and engines age, this issue will become more of a challenge.
You have received great advice here, from some of the most experienced, and current "in the know" folks, who base their council, on fact. We wish you the best of luck, going forward, and that car, from the photo, appears to be well worth the effort.
Mike

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#153 Post by Dan Epperly » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 pm

I took the heads to a friends shop and we CCd them. They are 56cc.