Antigravity assitance needed developing 6v Lithium Battery

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Antigravity assitance needed developing 6v Lithium Battery

#46 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:21 pm 62-65 have battery passengers side. All earlier had battery in center of the battery box floor which was completely different than the later 62-65 cars. Rubber hold down strap for C available from most of our Vendors. I use Stoddard mostly as I live in the Midwest. Strap: https://www.stoddard.com/64461115500-nla.html.html
On the right hand drive cars - 62+ (at least) the battery is also on the passenger's side - the battery and cables are on the left, however, in this instance. That should not affect the utility of a lithium battery connection.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Jeffrey Vogel
356 Fan

#47 Post by Jeffrey Vogel »

it would be great to have a companion 6v compact booster as well , something better than Chinese quality and in 7V to boot
jeffrey vogel
driving since 1959
porsche 356 SC
bugatti t35
lotus elan s2
miata NA
BMW r27
Triumph t100R
ALFA gulia

Scott Schafer
356 Fan

#48 Post by Scott Schafer »

Did some basic design layout to give more of a classic feel to the battery. We are going to go with the Case we found that I mention earlier. So we have the basic case now and the 6v Battery Pack is easy... now it just the Battery management system and IF we can incorporate the built in Jump Starting but I don't know if that is possible since the voltage is already quite low on a 6v Battery. So we will have to see if we can get a low state of charge 6v battery to start a 356. But even if we can't do the RE-START built-in Jump Starting, then we can at least have a battery with full protections that will last super long since it can't be over-discharged or damaged by accidental over-discharge like Lead/Acids are.
6v Porsche Battery Mockup.JPG
6v Porsche Battery Mockup.JPG (85.98 KiB) Viewed 1753 times

Scott Schafer
356 Fan

#49 Post by Scott Schafer »

Jeffrey Vogel wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:38 am it would be great to have a companion 6v compact booster as well , something better than Chinese quality and in 7V to boot
Working on that... just trying to figure how much we need to get into it since it requires a big modification to the circuit board and also the case of our MICRO-STARTs...

Gabe Renga
356 Fan

#50 Post by Gabe Renga »

Thanks for doing this. I am sure you will find a good market for them. Question. Is there anyway to “tone down “ the graphics a bit. I get why they are there, but most of the buyers are tradition bound. Those of us would prefer a more basic design in line with the original battery design. But maybe I am wrong. Thanks again.
Gabe
2018 Targa GTS
2006 997 S
2010 Cayenne GTS
1964 C Cab

------------------------

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#51 Post by Martin Benade »

We can use a spray can of trim black.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Scott Schafer
356 Fan

#52 Post by Scott Schafer »

Gabe Renga wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm Thanks for doing this. I am sure you will find a good market for them. Question. Is there anyway to “tone down “ the graphics a bit. I get why they are there, but most of the buyers are tradition bound. Those of us would prefer a more basic design in line with the original battery design. But maybe I am wrong. Thanks again.
There is no wrong or right Gabe... but from our perspective and marketing theory.... we have one-second to get you to look at our product and understand what our Battery is or does. So we are at Tradeshows quite a bit, we have magazine ads, and our website. So if someone is looking at our product we want to boldly say "HEY THIS IS OUR BRAND!!, THIS IS WHAT THIS PRODUCT IS!!!" So yes we blast on the graphics.

Antigravity is making a newer technology product and at a Tradeshow or Race when we set up our batteries, they look like regular batteries unless we bark they are Lithium, or have a unique look. So any advantage or thing that blasts an impression is to our advantage at this point. Lithium is still a niche product, but I want us to stand out. So we have to market/brand hard since we have to make people aware and perhaps interested in this newer technology. So that is how we look at this. On the other hand I think from a design perspective a Classic black and white logo would have been cool.... but then we just won't stand out enough in a picture or at a Tradeshow.

But the good thing is they are just stickers and can be removed and you can put a cool sticker that says something else, if you ever go this route. Another cool thing is If we get this product working as we have our others, its going to change the game. It actually is in fact hat much better than lead 6v batteries.

Gabe Renga
356 Fan

#53 Post by Gabe Renga »

Scott Schafer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:02 pm
Gabe Renga wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm Thanks for doing this. I am sure you will find a good market for them. Question. Is there anyway to “tone down “ the graphics a bit. I get why they are there, but most of the buyers are tradition bound. Those of us would prefer a more basic design in line with the original battery design. But maybe I am wrong. Thanks again.
There is no wrong or right Gabe... but from our perspective and marketing theory.... we have one-second to get you to look at our product and understand what our Battery is or does. So we are at Tradeshows quite a bit, we have magazine ads, and our website. So if someone is looking at our product we want to boldly say "HEY THIS IS OUR BRAND!!, THIS IS WHAT THIS PRODUCT IS!!!" So yes we blast on the graphics.

Antigravity is making a newer technology product and at a Tradeshow or Race when we set up our batteries, they look like regular batteries unless we bark they are Lithium, or have a unique look. So any advantage or thing that blasts an impression is to our advantage at this point. Lithium is still a niche product, but I want us to stand out. So we have to market/brand hard since we have to make people aware and perhaps interested in this newer technology. So that is how we look at this. On the other hand I think from a design perspective a Classic black and white logo would have been cool.... but then we just won't stand out enough in a picture or at a Tradeshow.

But the good thing is they are just stickers and can be removed and you can put a cool sticker that says something else, if you ever go this route. Another cool thing is If we get this product working as we have our others, its going to change the game. It actually is in fact hat much better than lead 6v batteries.
I can’t really disagree with anything you stated. I am sure most of us what to support what you doing. So if it has your name on it...so be it. When can I buy one? Thanks
Gabe
2018 Targa GTS
2006 997 S
2010 Cayenne GTS
1964 C Cab

------------------------

Scott Schafer
356 Fan

#54 Post by Scott Schafer »

Gabe Renga wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:14 pm
Scott Schafer wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:02 pm

I can’t really disagree with anything you stated. I am sure most of us what to support what you doing. So if it has your name on it...so be it. When can I buy one? Thanks
Well I'm projecting about 2 to 3 months max. We already do the 12v systems and those have been doing great.. so the basics are just the same. The difficult part is doing a Battery Management System (which is a built-in circuit board that has the protections to keep the lithium safe and lasting very long). We have to make a new tooling for this. So we are working on that and I'm waiting for engineer to finish the design on that circuit board. Then we are trying to have it do like our 12v models do and have built-in Jump Starting... but that is another thing and I"m not sure it can be accomplished yet. So that is the time consuming variable in this, or I could bust them out pretty quick otherwise.

Bill Sargent
356 Fan
Tag: Faux-Cam

#55 Post by Bill Sargent »

Scott,

You may want to consider some form of overcharge protection. The 356 uses a generator and voltage regulator. If the voltage regulator gets out of whack it can overcharge a battery. Or if one were to reverse the ground and field coil wires the generator then sends full output to the system. I unfortunately know that for a 12 V car it is about 18V at the battery if this happens. So probably 9 to 10 volts at the battery for a 6V car.

Great project and perfect for cars that are stored a few months a year.

Do you make a 12V battery in a "25" size with the ground on the right? I currently use an Optima 25 size in my 59 A cab and it fits perfectly in the recess in the center back of the battery box area.
Regards,

Bill Sargent
#151489 59A Cab - Faux Cam
#159176 64C Cab
#460603 67 912
904 clone in the works

Daryl Bruhl
356 Fan

#56 Post by Daryl Bruhl »

Thanks for bring the 6V battery into the modern world. A lot of motorhomes use banks of 6V batteries for power also. Curious what the projected sell price is for this 6V battery will be. You said 'Our Battery will cost MORE than a lead/Acid battery.' Googled searched your battery looking for replace for Honda CRV or Tacoma truck did not see any available. Did find one for my BMW motorcycle at 3x the AMG battery price. I did see some auto batteries in the range of $659-$829. Will the 6V fall in that range?
Watched a video and saw a Li-Lead lithium 12v battery that had posts on all 4 corners to fit any post configuration. enjoy 63 super 90 Sunny SoCal
Daryl Bruhl

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#57 Post by James Davies »

I think it is unlikely this case will be able to fastened down in the original way on Porsches from 1951 to 1961. The 356, 356A and 356B T5 use a battery cover that locates the battery by pressing down on the top edge of the battery case outboard of the terminals. It looks like this case has no ledge outboard of the terminals.

See photos below of original battery style and cover. Notice the terminals are more inboard on the DIN-spec batteries of the period. And the battery cover has a ledge each side to press down outboard of the terminals to hold the battery down so it doesn't move about. This is a 356 battery cover made of steel, but the 356A and 356B T5 cover is a similar design made of fiberboard.
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1681 times
noname4.jpg
noname4.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 1681 times
noname6.jpg
noname6.jpg (76.17 KiB) Viewed 1681 times

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#58 Post by Ronald Sieber »

James:
Not sure if this following comment matters in regard to fit/finish, but... My '57 T1/T2 transition car came with a steel cover as you have illustrated. Jay Weiner may have a 356 close in numbers to mine to compare against regarding steel vs. fiber.

=rdsieber

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#59 Post by Michael Branning »

Scot, any updates? My credit card is waiting anxiously. 😉
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Jeffrey Vogel