Classico wheels SMD lights

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Classico wheels SMD lights

#1 Post by David Jones »

Can anyone tell me what the actual current draw is for these SMD based lamps? Both for low beam and high beam and on 12 volt and 6 volt.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Classico wheels SMD lights

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

It less than the regular lights, my generator light used to glow when I turned my lights on, it doesn't now with the SMD lights.
Attachments
SMDlights.JPG
SMDlights.JPG (369.5 KiB) Viewed 828 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Brooks »

David

mine are a couple years old but 0.750 Amps each using a clamp on ammeter. I plan on doing some test mods to the electrical system and should have better data in a couple months using one of these. It uses a shunt so I should be able to put the small wire from the battery through the shunt.

I used this in a solar system worked well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-100V-100A-DC ... SwAvJXDGrA
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#4 Post by Michael Branning »

I measured my new pair with a bench supply set to 12.0v and 6.0v:

12v hi - 0.62a
12v low - 0.42a

6V hi - 1.22a
6V low - 0.83a
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#5 Post by David Jones »

20190929_204000.jpeg
20190929_204000.jpeg (241.34 KiB) Viewed 652 times
Michael, very helpful, thank you, they are obviously a very different construction to the LED's I bought. Mine consume considerably more power than that.
Mine are 12 volt so I am using a 6 to 12 volt converter as my car is still 6 volt, so my measurement with a digital inline ammeter reflect that.
I had on the 6 volt input to the converter with battery at 6.3 volts 5.6 amps in and at 12.3 volts output 2.3 amps. This of course is for one light. I discovered that there is no difference if both Hi and Lo beam filaments are selected on as the circuit is such that they are both on when Hi beam is selected. The current was about 1 amp less with only Lo beam selected. So what I have found with this particular LED headlight is that it consumes about 50% of the current that the original tungsten or QH lamps did but the light output is to my eye much brighter and penetrates further and still has a sharp cut off.
All in all I am happy with my choice.
The LED lights I had previously though bright, did not penetrate very well and did not have a very sharp cut off on Lo beam but they also consumed about 30% less current.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#6 Post by Martin Benade »

I think your voltage step up device is not so efficient. Can you get 6 v leds?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#7 Post by David Jones »

Martin, my voltage step up device I think is working OK. I would expect that a doubling of the voltage would see a 50% drop in current and that is what happened. I may try the lights on a 12 volt battery just to confirm but for what I have in $ spent I am happy not least because what I did worked and any time I try something different and it works it is satisfying. It is good to exercise my mind on projects otherwise I would just sit and stare at the TV and watch some mindless reality celebrity go on about how wonderful his life is and how mine sucks. I am better off spending my time and money on something I will not use very much but when I do I will feel a sense of satisfaction as I do when I hit 4K and above rpm in 4th gear with an engine I built or stop it with brakes I also rebuilt.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#8 Post by Martin Benade »

I agree with your view of the current vs voltage. Sounds good after all.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna