Advice to pull the dents out of jacking point

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Phil Planck
356 Fan

Re: Advice to pull the dents out of jacking point

#16 Post by Phil Planck »

Looks like you started in the right area. Did studs pull off or why no movement? Anorher option would be to cut out dent, reshape it and weld back in .
Phil Planck

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dave Whittick »

Phil Planck wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:17 am Looks like you started in the right area. Did studs pull off or why no movement? Anorher option would be to cut out dent, reshape it and weld back in .
Some of the studs did pull off because I'm really hammering on them and likely not hot enough when I welded it on but the 2lb hammer just isn't enough to move the metal.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#18 Post by Phil Planck »

Phil Planck

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bruce Smith »

I don't think pulling it is going to work. The dent was from ~1/2 the weight of the car centered to a small area, probably many times. That's not thin body sheet metal and the pulling force required to bring it back is going to be real tough to achieve. Cutting, hammering, and welding will probably be easier in the long run. Or easiest would be to remove and replace it.
Bruce Smith

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#20 Post by Phil Planck »

Good point about the heavier gauge metal Bruce. Dave is right about getting to all the spot welds with the rocker in the way. Maybe removing as many spots as possible then cut away spur from remaining flange that is still spot welded. Install new spur that has flange trimmed off where old flange remains. Butt weld new flange to oldremains.
Phil Planck

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#21 Post by Martin Benade »

A dremel with the $10 carbide burr can get into a tight spot if you want to remove the spur.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Robert Haubold
356 Fan

#22 Post by Robert Haubold »

I had the same issue with my 59 coupe. I simply cut the lower portion of the jack point off, straighten it, and welded it back on. I think it's too thick and stout to be able to pull the dent out.

Good luck,

Bob
Bob

59 Coupe
67 911S Sold

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jay Darlington »

I would use the stud gun and a torch with a small tip, heat about 1 sq. inch area at a time and pull with the hammer. you'll need to get the heated area cheery red and then it should pull easy. try not to heat right were the stud is you'll pull a big wart there and have to deal with it. get someone to run the torch for you,the wife maybe don't laugh I did and it work out reasonably good. its going to take some time and patience.
Jay D.
jay darlington

John Brooks
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Brooks »

Go get a Wurth spot weld drill and remove the entire Jack point, it is not that hard, heating and pulling it will just temper/ harden the poit. Take it off or replace it.

https://youtu.be/a59MS4hyB3E
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#25 Post by Martin Benade »

But that’s difficult with the rocker panel in place.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#26 Post by Dave Whittick »

John Brooks wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:08 pm Go get a Wurth spot weld drill and remove the entire Jack point, it is not that hard, heating and pulling it will just temper/ harden the poit. Take it off or replace it.

https://youtu.be/a59MS4hyB3E
If I didn’t have the rocker in the way, I would have just removed, fixed, then reinstalled the spur. It’s a 2 Heineken job at best. I can easily remove the damaged spur but it would likely be destroyed in the process, again due to lack of access to the top spot welds. Welding the replacement spur back on is the trick because I can’t access around the top 1/3rd to plug weld it nicely. It may be my only option if I can’t straighten this one out a little.

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dave Whittick »

Martin Benade wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:14 pm But that’s difficult with the rocker panel in place.
Exactly!

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#28 Post by Dave Whittick »

jay darlington wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:41 pm I would use the stud gun and a torch with a small tip, heat about 1 sq. inch area at a time and pull with the hammer. you'll need to get the heated area cheery red and then it should pull easy. try not to heat right were the stud is you'll pull a big wart there and have to deal with it. get someone to run the torch for you,the wife maybe don't laugh I did and it work out reasonably good. its going to take some time and patience.
Jay D.
This is my next approach. I’ve got a buddy coming over to heat it up while I massage it out from inside the spur. I’m collecting a variety of pry bars. I think it’s my best shot.

John Brooks
356 Fan

#29 Post by John Brooks »

with the rocker in the way I use a 90 deg die grinder with a air/speed adjuster. You can also use a small grinding wheel for the top one, or a round ball carbide burr. grind it thin and then use a thin chisel to pop the on the longautional. You plug weld it back on, short tungsten and a cap on the torch.

I think I would still just remove it replace it with a new one.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#30 Post by Don Gale »

How about a cosmetic fix and weld the outer shell of a new aftermarket spur over the dented one?
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"