Can do mufflers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Can do mufflers

#16 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Brad Ripley wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:01 pm In the last couple of years, products from Dansk have vastly improved, especially the B/C muffler.

we have found problems with fitting due to engines being "wider" than original design. Wider because extra copper spacers were put under cylinders to lower compression, making the cyl head studs as much as 1,75 mm further apart.
On the last Dansk muffler I bought, the spacing of the pipes that fit the head flanges was not off horizontally as Brad speaks of (from folks adding copper spacers under the cylinders), but it was considerably off vertically on one side. I was able to remedy this by inserting the jack handle from my old Sears hydraulic jack into the J-pipe connector on that same side and bending it until I got alignment of the head flange pipe with the head flange on that side. Neverthless, although I used lots of muffler cement on both J-pipe connections to fill the gap, the cement blew out after several hundred miles. So, I pulled the muffler and tried to expand my J-pipes enough to make a better connection, using a cheap Harbor Freight pipe expander. Doing this plus adding more cement, wrapping the J-pipe joints with fiberglass muffler wraps, and using big stainless steel clamps on the joints only worked for about 1000 miles before I got leaks again. That’s when I gave up and got the stainless muffler.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe