How to replace bulb on Marchal driving light

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Toby Brown
356 Fan

How to replace bulb on Marchal driving light

#1 Post by Toby Brown »

Have a set of round period nipple lens Marchal driving lights that I want to install on the 356. They have 12v bulbs and I want to replace with 6v. Question is how do I get the lens out of the housing without breaking it? The reflector with bulb is held into the chrome ring with metal wire looking clips. Do yo pry them up to remove?
Attachments
6ED3FB95-F6CD-4D88-BD86-42DC82CED0A0.jpeg
6ED3FB95-F6CD-4D88-BD86-42DC82CED0A0.jpeg (3.48 MiB) Viewed 1342 times

Mike Bushnell
356 Fan
Tag: 56 COUPE and KEEPING THE FAITH

Re: How to replace bulb on Marchal driving light

#2 Post by Mike Bushnell »

Toby,
These look similar to the headlights. So try to push down on the retainer spring (the silver wire at the edge) on one end. That should release the spring. Release all and the guts will lift from the lens.
Easy huh?
55 SPEEDSTER/56 A COUPE 1500Ns

Toby Brown
356 Fan

#3 Post by Toby Brown »

Well Thanks Mike. I could not push them down to release but with a flat blade screwdriver under one side it pops out. So after separating the bulb reflector from the housing I found that you could not get the bulb out. Looking it over I discovered that the bulb holder merely comes out of the housing with a little effort. It fits in with two side spring devices. So now all I have to do is figure out how to get it all back together..Maybe now I have to press down on the retainer springs! I’ll keep you posted.. Just hope Al Zim has the bulbs in 6V! Thanks

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

To remove and replace the headlight retainer spring clips, I use a flat blade screwdriver that I have cut a groove in with a Dremel cutting disc. The groove holds the clip so it doesn't slip out. I strongly advise wearing eye protection in case the clip flies out.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

You will find a selection of Marchal bulbs in our Bulb Shop here http://www.nlaparts.com/store/bulb-shop ... dhqibq2sa7