My First porsche

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Professor Bardia Manafi
356 Fan

My First porsche

#1 Post by Professor Bardia Manafi »

Hi all, just purchased a 1961 notchback 1600s, I have never drove a Porsche until the day I purchased this car, got the bug now and I love Porsches more than ever now, the car is in very good shape, but I want to change all the fluids, grease all the parts, and do all the maintenance there is, the oil was so dark when I checked the level and it was all the way to max line of the stick, I would appreciate if you guys can tell me where to buy all the maintenance parts, and where can I buy the shop manual, and what are the things I should do (preventive maintenance) , there is a small leak on the floor from engine very small, but a palm size of oil from transmission on the ground, thanks guys cheers😁 and does anyone know why my boot lid has the 2 grills from T6s but my car is a late T5. cheers
Attachments
srgergered.jpg
srgergered.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 1932 times
Last edited by Professor Bardia Manafi on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: My First porsche

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Welcome to the 356 Community and congrats on your purchase!

You will find us ready, willing and able to help you any way we can. If you let us know geographically where you live, I am sure there are fellow members nearby. I will also suggest you read the drivers manual for maintenance details. Also, by using the search feature in this site, you can search topics that you may have questions on. I've also Google searched topics and found answers that way.

As far as the engine grill, it could be a late T-5. Porsche did some "interesting" things back in the day. It's also possible the deck lid was switched at some point. I have a saying, "Porsche...consistently inconsistent..."

Again, welcome!
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#3 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Bardia: The program the club uses doesn't require that you enter what city you live in but if you do, people near you can offer to contact you (and there are many local groups).
Lids (front and rear) were stamped with the last few (two or three) numbers of the car's chassis number. In the rear it is on the tray under the grill stamped near the right hinge (look through the grill to see it), last three digits. Check it and you'll know if somebody switched it.
 KTF, member #15

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Weiss »

The rear deck lid only can be switched w/the same T5 lid; The twin-grill deck lid was introduced
on the '62 T6B series since it's slightly larger.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#5 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Dick, what you say is quite correct, however, the 1959 Carrera Deluxe was an A series car with twin grills. I have also seen two T-5 cars, ( both push rod engined), with twin grills. Speaking with one of the owners, he told me that the car was always a Super, never a Carrera and it always had the twin grill rear lid. I wonder if Porsche experimented with twin grills on some T-5 cars? Even with substantial re-working, I doubt a T-6 lid would be made to fit an earlier car.

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#6 Post by Richard Shilling »

Professor,
I think you are in Canada and if that is so, I suggest you contact:
CANADA
Maple Leaf 356 Club of Canada Mike Kieley
P.O. Box 220 - 10 River Bluff Path
Rockwood, ON Canada N0B 2K0
519-856-1232 mike@smartseniors.ca

As for reference material, on the 356 Registry home page, go to Resources, scroll down to Vendors. Clearly there are a lot to chose from but here's some suggestions:
Under Parts Vendors, Stoddard 356 has a parts catalog that is very good and complete.
Under Manuals, Bill Romanos parts books are priceless.
Charlie White has passed, I bought my 356 Shop Manual from him, but I don't know if they are still available.

And, welcome to the Forum. For a new member there are no dumb questions, ask away!
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Welcome If your car did not come with an owners manual you can get the one for an early B through the goodie Store. http://goodiestore.porsche356registry.o ... oductid=72
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#8 Post by Norm Miller »

As far as I know the 62 roadster and the 62 Karmann hardtop should interchange.
I factually know the 60 And 62 Roadsters would interchange.
Some of would consider it a mute point, others would succumb to a stroke or worse.

Norm

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#9 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Norm Miller wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 pm As far as I know the 62 roadster and the 62 Karmann hardtop should interchange.
Some of would consider it a mute point, others would succumb to a stroke or worse.

Norm
Absolutely correct. Karmann Hardtop body is same as roadster/cabriolet/speedster in the engine lid area.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:56 am
Norm Miller wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:36 pm As far as I know the 62 roadster and the 62 Karmann hardtop should interchange.

Norm
Absolutely correct. Karmann Hardtop body is same as roadster/cabriolet/speedster in the engine lid area. And I also had a Karmann Hardtop years ago with a twin-grill lid. Didn't know enough at the time to check for matching number, or if someone had simply installed a later lid.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#11 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Welcome and enjoy if your ever in CT give me a buss

Professor Bardia Manafi
356 Fan

#12 Post by Professor Bardia Manafi »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:10 pm Welcome to the 356 Community and congrats on your purchase!

You will find us ready, willing and able to help you any way we can. If you let us know geographically where you live, I am sure there are fellow members nearby. I will also suggest you read the drivers manual for maintenance details. Also, by using the search feature in this site, you can search topics that you may have questions on. I've also Google searched topics and found answers that way.

As far as the engine grill, it could be a late T-5. Porsche did some "interesting" things back in the day. It's also possible the deck lid was switched at some point. I have a saying, "Porsche...consistently inconsistent..."

Again, welcome!
Hi and thanks for the welcome wishes , sorry for the late reply (its a long weekend here in Canada!), I am located in Richmond Hill, Ontario, unfortunately the car didn't come with a drivers manual, and yeah the trunk is very interesting since it doesn't have the Vin digit marking either (but the front does and its matching), the car very solid and it has the original floor pans, and I was wondering if the drivers manual for super is different? thanks, already loving the warm community, cheers
Last edited by Professor Bardia Manafi on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Bardia Manafi
356 Fan

#13 Post by Professor Bardia Manafi »

tom coughlin wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:20 pm Bardia: The program the club uses doesn't require that you enter what city you live in but if you do, people near you can offer to contact you (and there are many local groups).
Lids (front and rear) were stamped with the last few (two or three) numbers of the car's chassis number. In the rear it is on the tray under the grill stamped near the right hinge (look through the grill to see it), last three digits. Check it and you'll know if somebody switched it.
Hi and thanks, Sorry for the late reply (its a long weekend here in Canada!), I am located in Richmond Hill, Ontario, unfortunately the rear lid doesn't have the Vin digit marking (but the front does and its matching), the car very solid and it has the original floor pans, and I was wondering if the drivers manual for super is different? thanks, already loving the warm community, cheers
Last edited by Professor Bardia Manafi on Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Professor Bardia Manafi
356 Fan

#14 Post by Professor Bardia Manafi »

Richard Shilling wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:36 pm Professor,
I think you are in Canada and if that is so, I suggest you contact:
CANADA
Maple Leaf 356 Club of Canada Mike Kieley
P.O. Box 220 - 10 River Bluff Path
Rockwood, ON Canada N0B 2K0
519-856-1232 mike@smartseniors.ca

As for reference material, on the 356 Registry home page, go to Resources, scroll down to Vendors. Clearly there are a lot to chose from but here's some suggestions:
Under Parts Vendors, Stoddard 356 has a parts catalog that is very good and complete.
Under Manuals, Bill Romanos parts books are priceless.
Charlie White has passed, I bought my 356 Shop Manual from him, but I don't know if they are still available.

And, welcome to the Forum. For a new member there are no dumb questions, ask away!
Hi and thanks for the welcome wishes , sorry for the late reply (its a long weekend here in Canada!), I am located in Richmond Hill, Ontario. I was wondering if the drivers manual for super is different? thanks, already loving the warm community, cheers

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Drivers manual is model specific not engine specific.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.