Parking brake problem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Parking brake problem

#1 Post by Paul Ahnell »

My parking brake functions only on the right rear wheel. I've followed all of the adjustment instructions from the Workshop Manual, the car owners manual, and suggestions on the Forum but can't get the LR cable to tighten up and pull on the rear brake lever (#39 attached) enough to actuate the Parking brake shoe. Tried to put two pages of the parts manual together here.
Parking Brake Rear Cable.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 39 times
Questions: 1. is the rear parking brake cable (#30 on attached) which pulls on #39 loose within the outer sheath? I was thinking maybe it's sticking in the sheath, but the Right side cable seems to act the same although it works on that side.
2. or is the wire cable swedged and immobile within the sheathe and the whole sheathe goes along for the ride when you pull the P brake handle i.e. it pulls in and out of the cable hole in the backing plate.

I'm only one guy here. I can't run fast enough to see what happens back there when I pull the P brake handle.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Parking brake problem

#2 Post by David Jones »

Set up your camera and record it. Check that the clamp is correct that holds the outer cable in place on the back plate. With the drum removed you can see very easily what happens when you pull the handbrake on and you should be able to ascertain quickly what is not working.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

Re: Parking brake problem

#3 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Hey David: good idea. I think I have one on my flip phone. I put a modicum of NAPA anti-seize on the metal-to-metal sliding surfaces and things smoothed out a bit. Close, but still no joy. To be continued tomorrow. 2 fingers right now. Or maybe 2 X 2.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe