Body Shops fear the 356

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

Body Shops fear the 356

#1 Post by Richard Holler »

So why do so called body shops fear the 356? Its funny how many "no replies" I get from inquires for work here in the Chicago area.... :?
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

Re: Body Shops fear the 356

#2 Post by Dan Epperly »

In general most shops don't want to deal with old cars, the money is in insurance work and new cars are easier to fix.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Insurance work is where the money is and those shops will not work on our old rust buckets, just like Dan said.

You need to do business with a shop that has done many 356s. Our cars are very difficult to repair correctly and very labor intensive. The typical general restoration body shop will underestimate the costs and you both will be angry in the end. Conversely, you should not choose a shop because they are expensive. Ask other Chicago area 356 guys or if you want very nice work at a fair price send the car to Bill Kemper at Panelwerks in Mentor Ohio. I travel 6 hours to do business there.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

jim frucht
356 Fan

#4 Post by jim frucht »

I’ve been in the Collision repair business for decades. There is “pace” that the shop is used to: write estimate, order parts, repair, paint, polish, detail and delivery. Even fairly complex jobs are completed in one month to six eeeks. Restoration requires a much slower pace. Many high end body technicians would be completely capable of doing restorations. It’s not necessarily a money thing. I can guarantee that any body shop that agrees to take in a vintage car will work on that car when time suits them. Bad for everyone as the job becomes a space stealing burden that no one wants to work on. Definitely find a true restoration shop who’s business is old cars.....

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#5 Post by Adam Wright »

As resources shrink many find they cannot find the work they need in their general area. I know, I live in NY, had my car painted in MA, and it's currently having a top put on in PA. I would rather have it done right far from me that done wrong close to home, so you might want to seek recommendations about who is doing good work within 5-6 hours of you, rather than staying local.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Wiener »

I don't get it. Shops in Ca start you at $30,000 and go from there. They usually end up at $50k. So do 2 cars a month.... It's not that difficult. Having said that... I need to open a shop.

jim frucht
356 Fan

#7 Post by jim frucht »

If you net 10% you are doing well. How much of that 30k or 50k is going to parts, labor, utilities, sublet work, insurance, workers comp, .... I could go on. That’s the problem — people that don’t have their own business see a big ticket and think it all goes into the owner’s pocket.....can be lucrative under the tight conditions but it’s not the gold mine you think

C J Murray
356 Fan

#8 Post by C J Murray »

jim frucht wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 pm If you net 10% you are doing well. How much of that 30k or 50k is going to parts, labor, utilities, sublet work, insurance, workers comp, .... I could go on. That’s the problem — people that don’t have their own business see a big ticket and think it all goes into the owner’s pocket.....can be lucrative under the tight conditions but it’s not the gold mine you think
A 10% bottom line for most businesses would be a home run. 3-6% is more normal, unless you are one of the many businesses that lose money until they finally run out of capital and close. People who have only ever been employees just do not and can not understand. Competition is what assures that prices are held down to the level that only an efficient operator can net a good income. Less capable business owners make less. Jim is correct.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

#9 Post by Richard Holler »

Adam Wright wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:03 pm As resources shrink many find they cannot find the work they need in their general area. I know, I live in NY, had my car painted in MA, and it's currently having a top put on in PA. I would rather have it done right far from me that done wrong close to home, so you might want to seek recommendations about who is doing good work within 5-6 hours of you, rather than staying local.
probably what I should do. Anybody know of good 356 body shops in Cincinnati?

These guys any good? :
https://www.metalkraftcoachwerkes.com/#about_us_section
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dan Epperly »

No body in their right mind would do auto restoration work. Working on old cars is physically and mentally stressful, full of reversals, horrid discoveries, frustration dealing with new parts that don't fit or work, missing bits that are impossible to find. You deal with nasty chemicals, leaning curves can consume hours of time trying to figure out how to so something and then fixing your mistakes. Cost overruns are the norm. Anyone who has to pay someone to do this for them should thank their lucky stars if They can find someone still willing to do it and do it well.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Dan Epperly wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 pm No body in their right mind would do auto restoration work. Working on old cars is physically and mentally stressful, full of reversals, horrid discoveries, frustration dealing with new parts that don't fit or work, missing bits that are impossible to find. You deal with nasty chemicals, leaning curves can consume hours of time trying to figure out how to so something and then fixing your mistakes. Cost overruns are the norm. Anyone who has to pay someone to do this for them should thank their lucky stars if They can find someone still willing to do it and do it well.
I find most who do this work seek more to life than soul less collision work. A challenge, a mountain to climb, the trick is to reach Maslow's peak and still manage to make a living. It can be done, and thankfully is. But as time goes on this workforce will shrink but aging out without enough new talent to fill the void. So the next time your restorer gives you a bill you don't like, just smile, or when you decide to order your own parts and take away the mark-up, just don't. Oh, and tip the workers, they are the ones who are really getting busy with your car.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#12 Post by Ron LaDow »

C J Murray wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:09 pm "...A 10% bottom line for most businesses would be a home run. 3-6% is more normal, unless you are one of the many businesses that lose money until they finally run out of capital and close..."
Any reading of 20th century business tells you that 7% *NET* is pretty much the high end limit before the Snoopy hangs out on that tree limb above you. 8% and you'll have competition you didn't dream of.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Al Zim
356 Fan

#13 Post by Al Zim »

Mr. Wiener: I would be pleased if you would like to purchase or successfully run Zim's Autotechnik. Plan of a 6 day 70 hour week. Even when I was working for someone else, the time requirements were well over a 50 hour week. Bring your checkbook, I want to take a 2 week vacation where it is cool. al zim Dick Weiss is even crazier he works from his house!
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#14 Post by Dick Weiss »

ah--Al, Garage attached to the house.

and--My car along w/many others, went thru Metalkraft Coachwerks for years and won many awards
including PCA Parades and various concours around the country.

Dick

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#15 Post by Joris Koning »

Richard,

My advice would be to find a reputable shop with 356 experience (even if not close by) and bring your car there. Yes, you might pay a premium but trust me, it will be cheaper in the long run. Yes, there is talent out there who will do as good a job with no experience. However, the chances of finding those guys is very slim.

I am working on a '56 coupe now. I used Jon @ The Metal Surgeon for metalwork and am having Dave DiMaria @ vintage car works paint the car. I can highly recommend both. Heck, I live in Europe, talk about a long distance project
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe