Engine Tin Powder Coat Color Match Samples

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Engine Tin Powder Coat Color Match Samples

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

I recently did quite a bit of research in an attempt to find powder coat finish that would match our original engine tin paint colors. I thought I'd share the results in case they help someone else down the line. Long story short, I found very good matches for our 1960 Super 90 black and silver finishes with Prismatic Powders Card Black PSS-1523 and White Silver Plus PMB-4823. The photos show the same original part and color sample compared under four different lighting conditions.

There are quite a few existing threads on colors, but they rarely include photos and the recommendations are quite varied. I also tried getting answers from Porsche in terms of a manufacturer's color code or RAL color reference. The output was "Black silky gloss and silver metallic". Not much help there, other than confirming some amount of gloss.

If anyone is interested in a lengthier description of the research and reasoning, I have a couple color match posts on my blog.

I realize that the cars did not originally powder coat, so it's not technically authentic. Thus my post here instead of the Authenticity Corner.
EngineTinBlack-ColorMatchesLighting.jpg
EngineTinBlack-ColorMatchesLighting.jpg (180.24 KiB) Viewed 899 times
FanShroudSilver-ColorMatchesLighting.jpg
FanShroudSilver-ColorMatchesLighting.jpg (171.71 KiB) Viewed 899 times
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Engine Tin Powder Coat Color Match Samples

#2 Post by Wes Bender »

That's a lot of work, but you realize that the colors are going to show up differently on various user's monitors.......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Wes Bender wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:41 pm That's a lot of work, but you realize that the colors are going to show up differently on various user's monitors.......
I am quite familiar with the issues of accurately rendering color on a computer screen. I mention this in my blog posts. The color may not display accurate on your screen relative to real life, but it does offer the benefit of seeing how close the sample color is relative to the actual part.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the info and feedback, Dennis. The topic comes up often.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

Dennis

What were the RAL numbers you got form Porsche?? If you have a good RAL, you can get powder that matches and make a test panel. I was having trouble getting Slate Gray to match in paint. I ordered some RAL powder and it was a perfect match.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dennis Vogel »

John Brooks wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:09 pm What were the RAL numbers you got form Porsche??
I had hoped to get some form of color match numbers or other details from Porsche, but was unable to. Porsche Germany only replied with "Black silky gloss and silver metallic" via one of the Porsche Classic dealers. There was no additional information whatsoever. It took weeks to get that one tidbit.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Doug McDonnell »

How are you going to get the authentic drips, runs, lint and occasional hair in the powder coating? :>)
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.