Brakes--Take 3 --- ongoing saga

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joel Gardner
356 Fan

Brakes--Take 3 --- ongoing saga

#1 Post by Joel Gardner »

Ok, so this my 3rd thread and updates on the brake issue with my '59. So to recap, it was pulling severely to the right when braking. Took in for repair and the "fix" (Complete system refresh with new cylinders etc.) was a no-fix....had to have it transported back to Seattle (I live near Canada) to a nationally known well respected shop. So they sent out the drums to be turned. The outfit who did the drums had suspicions that something was awry with a backing plate so they sent a measurement device back with the freshly turned drums. It was discovered that the backing plate is out of shape (bent) on the right rear.
Not sure if this plate will be trued or a replacement installed. Haven't heard yet.
Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and also wondering how this came to be???

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Brakes--Take 3 --- ongoing saga

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Farther for you I am sure but you might want to contact Jack Morris. Jack Morris is now in Spokane. 206 380 0163 It sort of sounds like rather than diagnosing your problem they sold you the Delux Super Duper Brake package. I can hear your frustration in your writing. I once took my 356SC in for brake fluid flush. I had already checked and discs were within spec and pads were over 1/2 left. After work I went to pick my car up and was told I needed calipers rebuilt, new rotors and pads. I never went back to that "Porsche" mechanic again.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.