356C Front Caliper ID

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Greg Carter
356 Fan

356C Front Caliper ID

#1 Post by Greg Carter »

I pulled my front and rear calipers today in order to send them off to PMB for rebuild. I reviewed their website and they have a page that helps ID original 356C calipers from later replacement 912 / 911 parts.

My rear calipers appear to be correct 356C calipers based on their description and have the correct numbers stamped into the halves (3501 / 3502 on the front and back halves of each caliper).

My front calipers appear to be correct except the number stamped into them. PMB’s site says they should be stamped 4801 and 4802. My calipers are stamped 4809 and 4810.

Does anyone know what calipers these are with the 4809 / 4810 stamp in them?

I’m assuming a later replacement but I can’t find any data to support this.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 356C Front Caliper ID

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Do they have two separate bleeder valves? Then they are 356.

C J Murray
356 Fan

#3 Post by C J Murray »

Odd caliper fitted to a 1963 factory test car.
Picture.jpg
Picture.jpg (178.62 KiB) Viewed 738 times
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#4 Post by Greg Carter »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:38 am Do they have two separate bleeder valves? Then they are 356.
Mr. Skirmants,

The front calipers in question do have dual bleeder valves on them. Are the dual bleeder valves a unique feature relative to later 911/912 replacement calipers? I use to own an early 911 but forgot how many bleeder valves were on the front calipers.

Mr. Murray, mine don’t look quite like that. They do look like the ones PMB has pictured on their website with the exception of the numbers.

Greg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#5 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I have never studied the numbers. I assume they are indicative of some type of change, but nothing affecting function.
912 calipers only have one bleeder.

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Warren Bender »

Thinking of sending my calipers to them. Would be very interested in your or anyone else's experience or appraisal of them.
Warren

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Horton »

No experience with PMB, but to add to Vic's coment, my 912, does NOT have the external fluid connecting screw in tube, it has that passage drilled internally, thus, the one bleeder, which needs to be installed to the top, they can be installed inverted, or on the wrong side, for the fronts. The factory rear calipers, Do have that external crossover line, and two bleeders, both of which must be bled, to purge all air. I've never researched the interchange possibilities, but those pros, should know that possibility.

With as many one off factory experiments as are out there, like the photo C.J. posted, and the late C changes, there are many possibilities. I'd focus on whether the existing calipers, will correctly function, there is nothing more comforting, than correctly functioning brakes, when needed. I doubt the show car judges will check the numbers. The condition of the functioning parts, is far and away, much more critical. If you don't find your specific answer, remove, and send them for inspection.

After a thorough brake system overhaul in bringing my '68 factory dual circuit 912 out of 23 years storage in a metal barn in AZ, on my first road trip, on I40 in Amarillo, I was forced to the inside safety lane by an ancient Big Texan Limosine, with just 140 miles on the 912 resurrection, and my first, unexpected "emergency" stop. It was straight and true, even without the new pads being "bedded in".

On brakes, " fix em' once, fix em' right", and don't look back!
Last edited by Mike Horton on Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Greg Carter
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Carter »

Mr. Skirmants,

Thanks again for the reply.

Mr. Bender,

I’ve never had any work done by them but they have great reviews from the 911 community. Additionally, I’ve met the owners a few times over the last several years and they’re very nice people. I even stopped by the shop on a trip to SLC and Mr. Shea gave me tour of the facility.

It will be a few weeks but I’ll report back once I get my calipers rebuilt and returned.

Greg

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#9 Post by Warren Bender »

Mr Carter,
Thanks, I look forward to your comments
Happy motoring,
Warren