How to loose bottom of Tenax snap tonneau cover?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Raucher
356 Fan

How to loose bottom of Tenax snap tonneau cover?

#1 Post by Steve Raucher »

Hi all,
I see on the bottom of the tenax snap on canvas tonneau there are two small holes. what to use to remove bottom backing to replace faulty top tenax snap?
Seems very tight. Sometimes I can just unwind it with my fingers not this bugger.
Thank you.
Steve

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: How to loose bottom of Tenax snap tonneau cover?

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Depending upon where it is located, it may not be a sheet metal screw fastener but rather is threaded with a nut.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Vic Skirmants »

I think Steve is referring to the tonneau cover.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

I missed that. Thanks, Vic.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Snap Ring Pliers with right angle tips.

Frank Earle
356 Fan

#6 Post by Frank Earle »

Steve,

I'm surprised there hasn't been a 'flood' of replies on your subject. Anyone who has had to 'mess' with Tenax situations sooner or later, has been confronted with the same situation you are facing now. There was a member a while ago who came up with a great tool for this situation....and it offered several different configurations of the Tenax hole positions. Since I'm unable to find my past info on this fella, I'll just pass on what I found that'll work for you.

There's a plier-like tool that looks like a small needlenose, but instead of gripping 'jaws' it sports rounded appendages that taper to a point. Something you might find at a Radio Shack, or possibly a well--equipped hardware store. These pliers have a leaf-spring like many plier-type tools that allow the two tapered tongs to stay open. Anyway, you spread the pliers open to allow the tongs to enter the two Tenax holes. Apply a bit of pressure, and good grip on the Tenax base and twist counter-clockwise. This has always worked for me, and I trust it will help you out!

Regards,

Frank Earle

Frank Earle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Frank Earle »

Steve,

I'm surprised there hasn't been a 'flood' of replies on your subject. Anyone who has had to 'mess' with Tenax situations sooner or later, has been confronted with the same situation you are facing now. There was a member a while ago who came up with a great tool for this situation....and it offered several different configurations of the Tenax hole positions. Since I'm unable to find my past info on this fella, I'll just pass on what I found that'll work for you.

There's a plier-like tool that looks like a small needlenose, but instead of gripping 'jaws' it sports rounded appendages that taper to a point. Something you might find at a Radio Shack, or possibly a well--equipped hardware store. These pliers have a leaf-spring like many plier-type tools that allow the two tapered tongs to stay open. Anyway, you spread the pliers open to allow the tongs to enter the two Tenax holes. Apply a bit of pressure, and good grip on the Tenax base and twist counter-clockwise. This has always worked for me, and I trust it will help you out!

Regards,

Frank Earle

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#8 Post by Mike Smith »

NOTE :-

There are Metric Tenax Fasteners and English/American Tenax Fasteners

To the best of my knowledge they do NOT inter-change
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Steve Raucher
356 Fan

#9 Post by Steve Raucher »

Thanks everyone for chiming in,
I will look into fixing this snap today.
Best,
Steve

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bruce Smith »

Like Tim says, snap-ring pliers with angle tips. The top end of the fastener has the threaded post with teeth around the perimeter of the ring, locking it to the fabric. The bottom cap with the two holes is the 'nut'. Insert snap-ring pliers into the holes. It will turn.
Bruce Smith