Trying a tank of non-ethanol gas

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Beam
356 Fan

Trying a tank of non-ethanol gas

#1 Post by Jim Beam »

Hello All: Hope you are having a great 4th of July Holiday. My car is a 1963 B(T6) normal. Motor rebuilt 30k miles ago and I am running Weber 40 carbs with a 050 distributor. I am in the process of trying a tank of non-ethanol just out of curiosity to see if there is any difference in performance. Anything I should be wary of going down this road? Thanks. Jim
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Trying a tank of non-ethanol gas

#2 Post by David Jones »

It may run a little rich if it was tuned to run on 10% ethanol. Look for back smoke on acceleration.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Jim, we have marine (or 'clear') 92 oct, non-ethanol gas moderately available and it is legal to use in vintage cars. It is approx $1 per gal more than Regular gas. No issues at all with its use over the last 15 years. Added advantage is that I can pump it myself whereas it isn't legal to do so with the other fuels. I don't think there is any performance advantage except maybe a little better MPG. I value its use in order to avoid any potential ethanol-related problems during extended storage intervals.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

George Walling
356 Fan

#4 Post by George Walling »

Jim, I have tried ethanol 10% in my 55 speedster here in eastern Oregon and had problems with it boiling (vapor locking) when the weather got above the mid 80's. This would happen mainly when I would drive 15 or 20 miles and then pull in some where park and then come back out and try starting it and find the fuel had boiled out and car didn't want to start, some times it would stumble and spit when leaving a stop sigh or accelerating. I switched to non ethanol fuel and have not had a problem. the other thing is make sure any rubber fuel lines you have are rated for ethanol fuel and also ethanol is hard on the older rubber gaskets your fuel system may have. oh my carbs are Zenith 32NDIX , when Oregon first went to ethanol blend fuel we had a lot of trouble with fuel systems in are older vehicles and lawn equipment. Good luck with trying it but I would stick with non ethanol if you can in your state.
George E Walling

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

(Tongue in cheek) Jim, does your trying non-alcohol fuel have anything to do with your namesake's distillery losing those 45,000 barrels of fine Jim Beam???
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Linda Bealessio
356 Fan

#6 Post by Linda Bealessio »

George, I am having almost the same problem. When I have driven my 356A 10 miles or so, and temps are in the upper 70’s or higher. If I park the car, I can usually start it, but she will only go about 1/4 mile before using all fuel available. I have to wait about an hour (usually on the side of the road) before she will start again. We are at 8,000 to 9,000 ft elevation and unfortunately don’t have access to non-ethanol fuels.
I hate that I can’t really drive the car anywhere without spending at least an hour there.
Anyone have ideas or suggestions to remedy this problem?

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#7 Post by Spike Jones »

Linda,
My suggestion is to install an electric pump in the footwell (under the toe board) to refill the floats after the fuel boils away and to push through vapor locks. I live at about 3200 feet and have access to non-ethanol fuel, so haven't experienced this, but this solution has worked for friends of mine. I certainly remember 50's vehicles with vapor lock problems in hot weather after parking and an electric fuel pump was the answer.
I got my pump and 3 position switch from Zim's.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

George Walling
356 Fan

#8 Post by George Walling »

Linda, I carried a bottle of water and would pour it on the fuel pump and steel fuel line, this would solve my problem so i didn't have to wait for the fuel to cool. Seeimg how you don't have non ethanol fuel available I would do what Spike recommended. The electric fuel pump pushing fuel in stead of sucking the fuel from the tank will solve your problem. with the high engine compartment of are newer cars would have this same problem if it wasn't for the fact the fuel pump is in the tank. Good luck solving the problem.
George E Walling

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Depending upon the model of your car, I'd put the electric fuel pump in the foot well of cars with the petcock inside the car in the passenger side footwell and if under the car, on the right side diagonal. That way, the routing of the fuel hoses is easier with minimal cutting of holes for them.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ken Lubke
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ken Lubke »

I own and sell non oxy 91 at my stores.
All small engines to include are little engines enjoy a non ethanol fuel. No build up of gunk to plug jets etc.

Yes, tuned properly , they do burn a little rich. Better than too lean

Kenny