Problem Solved! for no turn signals or brake lights

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

Problem Solved! for no turn signals or brake lights

#1 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

I hadn't seen this discovery method on the other threads so wanted to add this experience to the long list.
The problem was a sudden no turn signal activity including no brake light action on both sides. It all did come back on once and then off for good. My roadster has an electronic flasher and CU Layer LED setup. All my other "bulbs" worked front and rear. (brake and turning signal bulb are the same, as a reminder)
My first actions that Did Not solve it was the exercise of the turn signal lever with contact cleaner, also did a continuity test on all fuses without removing them & they showed good, also tried a replacement of the grounded electronic flasher relay. I figured the bulb sockets were OK since both went out at same time.
Wanting to avoid the whole ground wire tracking misery I decided to go to the fuse block one more time.

So I turned the ignition to the ON position and put the turn signal switch into the ON turning position. Then went to the fuse block again and gently touched and moved each fuse. When I got to the 2nd fuse from the far right (on Elfrinks chart it's #11) the turn signal flasher started sounding off and lights worked!
I barely touched that fuse again and it stopped. Lightly touched the fuse again and it came back on. (getting a new fuse now)

So doing the turn signal lever "on" routine while touching each fuse could be a first step short cut to see if you have an intermittent fuse contact problem. Yes, I could have removed each fuse and polished them off or replaced them all to start with but this narrowed it down a lot quicker. Another note is that the evil fuse happened to be the one that is part of the path to the turn signal relay. Now I know what fuse to look at first for turn signal/brake light issues. I probably won't remember this if it happens again, so I put it in my notes.... if I can remember where to find them when the time comes.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Problem Solved! for no turn signals or brake lights

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on solving the problem. Electrical gremlins can illicit frustration followed by colorful language!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Clarke »

I do have problems with electrics!
Electricity, You can't see it, we normally only have 6 Volts, so when you find the fault it's so important to clean every contact.
Does anyone know if Joe Leoni's books are still available? Want one for our 61 BT5 Coupe.
Randy, well done for solving your turn & brake light failures.
Cheers Jay

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#4 Post by Wes Bender »

There's a trick that everyone should use at least once a year, maybe more often in damp climates. Simple enough to do too. Remove the fuse cover and then rotate each fuse a turn or two. This cleans the contact spots between the fuses and fuse holders.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#5 Post by Mike Smith »

I do have problems with electrics!
Electricity, You can't see it, we normally only have 6 Volts, so when you find the fault it's so important to clean every contact.
Does anyone know if Joe Leoni's books are still available? Want one for our 61 BT5 Coupe.
Randy, well done for solving your turn & brake light failures.
Cheers Jay

John,
Bill Block may be selling them ?
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Yes per his website Bill still has them for sale: https://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356Electrics.html
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Back when I was a VW/Porsche mechanic cars would come in with electrical issues 1st thing was a fuse block cleaning. Disconnect battery, remove all fuses, small wire brush the fuse block connections, Install new or sandpaper the ends of the old fuses. When re-installing the fuses they must snap in with pressure/tension or you have to bend the fuse block blade so the fuse is tight and does not rotate easily. Often times this will fix electrical gremlins. :idea:

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#8 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Is it a ok to use dielectric grease after cleaning or rotating the fuses during Wes and Martin's routine?
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

John Weyand
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Weyand »

I use the dielectric lube on all fuse connections. It seems to keep the oxidation of the "clips" to a minimum and the tip of the fuse also. When searching for the gremlin, use caution, often the offending fuse will be hot.
John W
'64 "C" coupe

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#10 Post by William Block »

Leoni relays and books are available at BLOCKS-BOOKS.com.
Or phone 248/672-2637
bill
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230