Electronic Fuel shut off Valve

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

Electronic Fuel shut off Valve

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
Further to my previous post, reference problems with the Petcock leaking, I was wondering if anyone had done away or removed this ?
First the later 356s have a gas gauge so no real need for a Reserve tap, and as far as turning off the fuel supply, could an electronic solenoid valve be fitted in the fuel line ? Maybe fitted where the petcock lives, but never been a fan of any fuel equipment being located in the cabin!! Actuated either by the Ignition switch or an independent switch. This would also be an anti theft solution. I'm sure there must be someone out there with this 'old idea' I'm still running with 6 Volts, so not sure there is anything out there!
Thanks for any replies
Cheers Jay

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: Electronic Fuel shut off Valve

#2 Post by David Jones »

Fuel leaking past the float valves is I always thought more of an issue with the earlier cars with inside fillers because the tank sat higher and consequently presented a higher head of fuel to the float valves. This of course applies to the later cars in RHD configuration with the same fuel tank. Having said that you are going to have fuel running through the cabin in all 356 versions so the idea of a solenoid to shut off the fuel does not improve the situation at all but it does present another element of failure. I have had a few valves leak on me but it was not enough to cause worry about a conflagration, but more of an annoyance with the smell of gas in the cabin and a stain on the rubber or coco mat in some cases. The fuel cock is so easy to rebuild and once rebuilt is usually good for a long time. I rebuilt my "A" coupe cock in 94 and it is still holding up with no sign of a leak.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Ruddy
356 Fan
Tag: https://tinyurl.com/yw3jedrh

Re: Electronic Fuel shut off Valve

#3 Post by Mike Ruddy »

I looked into this a while back when the needle valve in one of my Zeniths failed. There's some discussion on the Ford Model T forums about using a 6 volt remote fuel cut off valve and a search throws up this...

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_mode ... -volt.html