problem with 'restoring' wipers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Selleck
356 Fan

problem with 'restoring' wipers

#1 Post by Mark Selleck »

I'm trying to get my windshield wipers fixed up so I'll be OK if I get caught in a shower. My restoration of the wiper arms went well, and they look like new, with new blades, but getting the new rubber seals mounted, and nuts tightened has been a problem. The old rubber was toast, so I got new inside/outside sets from Stoddard, along with new chromed (SS?) 'caps' that are supposed to fit over the rubber, and act as a washer for the nut to tighten against. I thought it would be quick and easy, but not so.

I'm only replacing the outside rubber pieces. On the driver's side I was able to get the nut to catch a thread...barely, after much pulling and pressing. The wiper post on that side was pretty firmly positioned, not a lot of movement. It's different on the passenger side: the post pulls back into the interior half-an-inch or so. I can pull it out, after attaching the aluminum nut that holds the wiper arm on, but not far enough that I can catch a thread with the nut that tightens the apparatus to the body. I started comparing the old rubber with the new, and the metal 'cap' that covers the rubber, and there is an obvious difference: the rubber is longer, along the axis of the hole (That could be explained by age/rubber shrinkage of the old one.), but there is also a difference in the metal 'cap'. The old 'cap' will fit over the end of the rubber piece, and stay in place if turned vertical; the new one will not. The new one appears to be slightly smaller in diameter, and thicker than the old one, and, since it will not go over the end of the rubber piece, so that the rubber seats itself fully, the threads I'm needing to access are not available to the nut threads. I don't think there is anything keeping me from pulling the post completely outward, to expose the threads, so I think the problem is with the new rubber and 'cap'. Should I try trimming the new rubber? I'm not sure, but I think I could create a 'shoulder', with a hot wire, so that the 'cap' would fit better over the end, after I shorten the piece a bit. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: problem with 'restoring' wipers

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've run into the same problem with the rubber grommets, mostly on T-6 cars. I have trimmed some to fit but my preferred method was finding grommets that fit better. I haven't encountered problems with the chrome cap but I know parts can vary from batch to batch. I usually have the original ones chromed.

Sometimes you can get the grommets to fit better and be able to thread the nut onto the spindle if someone pushes up on the wiper transmission from under the dash.

Hopefully others will weigh in and offer their experiences and solutions.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

Mark Selleck wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:38 pm [...]Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Mark
Load enough washers into the socket sufficient to keep the nut flush with the outside end of that socket. You may still need someone to push on the inside end of the linkage, but last time I did it, darlin' wife's assistance was not required.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Sabbann »

I just recently re-installed my T-6 wiper 'posts' using new grommets. I had removed the posts to just below the sheet metal leaving the inside grommets in place, in prep for a pending repaint. It helped with the threaded length to first thread on the nut without the outer grommet to help pull the assembly through the sheet metal. Once there was more thread to work with, I removed the nut, installed the outer grommet and was able to tighten the whole assembly up, in place.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Mark Selleck
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Selleck »

I'm a bit slow with this, but I finally got my passenger side grommet installed. As far as I could tell, the assembly was pulled up as far as was possible (metal-to-metal contact at the sheet metal), so I got out my disc sander and carefully trimmed the length of the grommet. I finally got it to the point where I could catch a thread, and it's together, with the wipers operating smoothly. Thanks to everyone for their input.

Mark
Mark Selleck
Mineral Springs, NC

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Mark.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

#7 Post by Richard Holler »

I've had the same issue with my passenger wiper "barely catching the thread" on my T6, i was able to muscle it on but it wasn't easy...
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)