Help! Engine turned over briefly now getting nothing.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Brian Ingles
356 Fan

Help! Engine turned over briefly now getting nothing.

#1 Post by Brian Ingles »

I'm hoping someone can help point me in the right direction and help confirm/deny some of my suspicions.

We've been attempting to fire up our '64 C that has been sitting for the last 30+ years. The fluids have been changed, new optima 6v battery installed, plugs checked, belt tightened, connections cleaned and confirmed, the whole 9 to get the engine in shape for a test run before pulling the whole thing out. At first, it was very slow to turn and it even fired up for a revolution or two producing a giant puff of smoke before cutting out - it felt like it wanted to run! However now, all I get is a "click" when turning the ignition, whereas before it would turn slowly. My first thought was the battery...when I checked it, it was run down to 6 volts, so after getting it back up to 6.5 volts we tried again, but no such luck, just a "click" again. We bought another battery to ensure that the Optima wasn't a dud, but no such luck starting with the new battery either. Both batteries pass the dim light load test.

Now I'm thinking it could be two things: the starter is dead or it's not getting enough power. Am I right in thinking this? Looking for any advice on what to check and/or diagnose next. The engine will turn over no problem when turning via belt pulley wrench.

Thanks in advance!
Northern VA
'64 C coupe

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

Re: Help! Engine turned over briefly now getting nothing.

#2 Post by Don Gale »

I would start with cleaning/tightening the main connection on the starter. If the problem persists, then suspect the internal solenoid contacts are pitted/corroded and need cleaning or replacing. Perhaps clean the ignition switch connections as well.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Did you examine the power cable at the battery? If you see corrosion at the clamp, cut the cable back an inch. Now clean copper wiring should show...a new or cleaned clamp can be attached. The other end of the cable, at the starter should be cleaned also,. The ground straps must be removed, the area where they attach scrubbed to clean, shiny metal, then the straps cleaned or replaced. There is the battery ground and also the transmission strap on the passenger side.
A reluctance to turn over can also be caused by a worn starter bushing. Very inexpensive but pretty easy to remove the old and insert the new. It does make a difference.
Try turning the engine over with the plugs removed...see if it picks up speed. After three decades of rest, it may need to be coaxed a bit.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Benade »

If you can rap on the starter with a block of wood and a mallet it might show signs of life, modern cars often will start one more time that way with a bad starter.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

You could try a VW starter motor from your local FLAPS. Cost is probably less than $60. Not as good as an original Porsche starter but should do the job. It will at least fit on a "C" car with the extra amount of clearance. You can also swap starter solenoids as a VW solenoid is identical. A new solenoid also costs about the same as a rebuilt starter motor , not sure how that is figured out.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#7 Post by Don Gale »

Martin Benade wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm If you can rap on the starter with a block of wood and a mallet it might show signs of life, modern cars often will start one more time that way with a bad starter.
Ditto, My 912 would get autistic in humid weather. A few raps with the end of a hammer would snap it out of it.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#8 Post by Norm Miller »

A friend had his dads B coupe out of mothballs after 12 years.
When they tried to start it they had the same problems.
The net result was a seized valve or 2 and some badly bent pushrods.
This required both heads to be rebuilt.
One valve is still "welded" in the guide.
Have you turned it over by hand?

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#9 Post by William Block »

Last year I was dismayed to find my 546 engine suffered the exact same problem. Especially confusing was that it turned over and ran on my test stand. Rebuilt starter didn't help. Back o test stand, it ran. Then I realized that the test stand was 12 volts. I turned it over on the test stand several times for short periods of time and it seemed to loosen. Back in the car. Still reluctant. Hit with 12v and it started. Back to 6 volts and it turns over, starts and runs! Vic surmised that the cylinders had rusted (aren't they Chromal?). Engine had only been sitting 30+ years as the car was restored 3 times before it was acceptable.
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#10 Post by Vic Skirmants »

You are correct. Those would be chrome, but the rings are steel and could stick in the grooves.

Brian Ingles
356 Fan

#11 Post by Brian Ingles »

Don Gale wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:41 pm I would start with cleaning/tightening the main connection on the starter. If the problem persists, then suspect the internal solenoid contacts are pitted/corroded and need cleaning or replacing. Perhaps clean the ignition switch connections as well.
Thanks, I will try those!
Geoff Fleming wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:58 pm Did you examine the power cable at the battery? If you see corrosion at the clamp, cut the cable back an inch. Now clean copper wiring should show...a new or cleaned clamp can be attached. The other end of the cable, at the starter should be cleaned also,. The ground straps must be removed, the area where they attach scrubbed to clean, shiny metal, then the straps cleaned or replaced. There is the battery ground and also the transmission strap on the passenger side.
A reluctance to turn over can also be caused by a worn starter bushing. Very inexpensive but pretty easy to remove the old and insert the new. It does make a difference.
Try turning the engine over with the plugs removed...see if it picks up speed. After three decades of rest, it may need to be coaxed a bit.
I did take the cables off and gave them a good cleaning in the frunk, but did not clip any back. Was debating on ordering a new ground strap, so might go ahead and do that along with cleaning the connections at the starter as well. :D
Martin Benade wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm If you can rap on the starter with a block of wood and a mallet it might show signs of life, modern cars often will start one more time that way with a bad starter.
Interesting! Worth a shot I say, thanks.
Northern VA
'64 C coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

My dad was a mechanic and always drove a "beater". I remember one with a bad bendix in the starter that he used to whack regularly when I was a kid. My favorite was a 4 door Biscayne that had been wrecked so hood and front fenders were a different color. One day when he wasn't home my older brother and his girlfriend painted it Fuchsia with a roller and house paint. Good thing he had a sense of humor.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#13 Post by Brad Ripley »

Have you thoroughly tested the ignition switch?

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#14 Post by Norm Miller »

Brian,
Do you by chance have a cut off switch on the battery?
If so bypass it. They sometimes are a volt sink under load.
Norm

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#15 Post by Bob Kittel »

Install a starter relay sold after market. Keeps from burning the contact points and giving poor performance.
Bob Kittel