New Member-Just bought Car in Ann Arbor need transport

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Laing
356 Fan

New Member-Just bought Car in Ann Arbor need transport

#1 Post by Jim Laing »

Hello, I joined the registry 2 months ago after being a long time 911 owner to add a 356 to my garage. In the short period of time as a member, i have interacted with a few members in my search for a car and each has been very helpful and easy to talk to about cars that are available or should be coming to market soon. Steve Douglas has been a great resource. I have just completed a very stress free, enjoyable purchase from Dan M in Ann Arbor MI. I am obtaining price and availability from Transporters to haul the car to San Diego CA. If anyone knows of a delivery that is currently going to So Cal or any suggestions or help from you guys regarding car transporters will be greatly appreciated.
I look forward to joining this brotherhood and participating in events and drives, and the comradery of the group.
jim

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: New Member-Just bought Car in Ann Arbor need transport

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Welcome to the club! If the car is nice and one you care about I would recommend getting enclosed transport from one of the well known carriers, it will cost at least double, probably about $2000-2500 but it will be money well spent. Call Intercity or Reliable, don't go with a broker you find on the internet and don't go with someone on U-Ship.
Again congrats!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Nice car! I have seen it but not for a few years. Now how will you get the In/out temp gauge working? Rare cool option. And yes the car is nice. It is my understanding that it was a father/son restoration project done years ago but is in nice shape.SC with Euro heater and other cool options. Listen to Adam. He has lots of transport horror stories. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the brotherhood.
Attachments
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 830 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

JohnPierce
356 Fan

#4 Post by JohnPierce »

There's a thermometer for sale in the classified if interested. Not mine.

https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/27153
1963 B T6 Project

Daryl Bertram
356 Fan

#5 Post by Daryl Bertram »

Agree with Adam. I used Intercity Lines to transport my dad's vintage Fords from
P1010575.jpg
P1010575.jpg (47.76 KiB) Viewed 792 times
Florida to San Diego. The hauler went through an ice storm in Texas on the way but no worries since the cars were inside. They were careful in the extreme loading and unloading the cars. Worth the extra $ for enclosed and safe.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#6 Post by Adam Wright »

You can read some horror stories here:

https://unobtaniuminc.wordpress.com/201 ... -porsches/

Or my two favorite U-Ship stories.

Loading furniture on top of the Porsche or the guy who only hauls ATV's, but said he could do a Porsche, except he was going to have to take it off 7-8 times before it got to TX. Oh, and he just had a truck, not a company, and the trailer was registered to his cousin in a different state, so if something happens to the car, who is going to pay for it?
Attachments
ushipnn.jpg
ushipnn.jpg (913.48 KiB) Viewed 790 times
ushipn.JPG
ushipn.JPG (114.28 KiB) Viewed 790 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.