Steering Wheel Cockeyed?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Steering Wheel Cockeyed?

#1 Post by Edwin Ek »

I was visiting my Roadster at my mechanic's garage today and sat in the driver's seat. I noticed that the steering wheel was not parallel to the dashboard- the left side was much closer. I looked at my mechanic's 1960 Roadster (mine is a 1962) and his was cockeyed also, but perhaps not as much.

What gives? Is this true for all cars, Roadsters, later cars, or ...? Neither of our cars has ever been hit.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Steering Wheel Cockeyed?

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doesn't the dash curve closer on the left?

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#3 Post by Norm Miller »

Is the wheel closer to the dash or is the dash closer to the wheel: That is the question.

I had an "A" with the optional shorter column and my knuckles almost hit the dash pad. (only on the left).

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

Hi Edwin,
My 1960 Roadster is the same way. If you stare down at the top of the wheel it is definitely offset a bit to the left. Our family has had the car since new so I can also vouch that it's never been hit. I always thought it was either to make it easier to enter/exit the car or maybe help a bit with the steering offset, maybe a bit of both? I'd like to hear from any RHD Roadster owners to see if they have an offset to the right. My coupe is home so I can't check it right now.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#5 Post by Edwin Ek »

I would say the plane of the dash, the plane formed by the faces of the three instruments, is perpendicular to the direction of travel. The far left of the dashboard seems to have a little curve, but that isn't what I am talking about.

My steering wheel is cocked relative to the plane of the dash. If you look at the steering wheel from the side, this phenomenon is easily noticeable.

Norm Miller
356 Fan

#6 Post by Norm Miller »

ED,
Checking for C/L offset I find the center of the wheel to be 15mm left of center, measuring from the seat rails or center of the driver's seat. This put the left side of the wheel 30mm further left than the right side.
To further add to the illusion the clutch pedal is centered with the seat.
These are "A" measurements. With a 400mm wheel.
I will check a "B" later and add my comments.
Most cars do have an offset unless they utilize a u-joint in the shaft.
This reminds me of the notorious boondoggle with Audi's unintended acceleration where the pedals were left of center allowing the gas pedal to be where the brake pedal was generally located.
Norm

Norm Miller
356 Fan

#7 Post by Norm Miller »

Ed,
I'm back.
This also applies to my C coupe.
I also noticed the C/L of the steering column is 15mm left of the center of the Tach.
This will undoubtedly cause me unbridled concern for years to come.
Be Happy - Don't worry!
Norm

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#8 Post by Thomas Sottile »

forgetaboutit

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Norm, many thanks for checking and making measurements. It sounds as though you have seen another anomaly- the center of the steering wheel is not where it should be.

I am talking about something else: the plane formed by an imaginary board pressed against the steering wheel and the plane of the dash aren't parallel.

Norm Miller
356 Fan

#10 Post by Norm Miller »

The offset is formed by an angle. not sidewise movement thus the plane of the dash and the steering wheel differ.
I rest my case.
Norm

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just checked a Roadster today. Without taking measurements, the dash looks closer to the steering wheel on the left side.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe