Remote Oil Filter System

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gary Koehler
356 Fan

Remote Oil Filter System

#1 Post by Gary Koehler »

Phase II of the new oil system is the remote filter - mounted high and dry in the cool air of the wheel well.
Starts with a very nice Willhoit remote oil filter adapter, pumping through 1/2” stainless steel braided Teflon hose (2000 psi burst). Mobile 1 Filter is shock mounted on a Maximum Motorsports remote adapter.
There is about equal clearance between the muffler and the exhaust header, all the hard bends are long sweep elbows, so excepting the filter, I expect minimal pressure drop. Everything is 37° JIC flare, except for 2 o-ring fittings on the engine.
Cost about $300 US
Attachments
202FB9B7-8D6F-49BC-9A3A-7AB64322B0FF.jpeg
202FB9B7-8D6F-49BC-9A3A-7AB64322B0FF.jpeg (3.36 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
95A9E8B8-96F0-4ADC-B715-AF71E26C13AF.jpeg
95A9E8B8-96F0-4ADC-B715-AF71E26C13AF.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
47F5A573-CD34-4B51-A994-7B4D690FAFC6.jpeg
47F5A573-CD34-4B51-A994-7B4D690FAFC6.jpeg (2.58 MiB) Viewed 1637 times
Last edited by Gary Koehler on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Remote Oil Filter System

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've seen John's set up and plan on converting mine to it. He clamps the two oil lines to the top of the flapper box to keep them away from the muffler pipe.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Paul Lima
356 Fan

#3 Post by Paul Lima »

Only thing I'd have done (and did on my car) is to mount the filter vertically to reduce changing mess. In spite of a few neanderthal comments, your engine will be much happier with clean oil

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Looks good.
Low enough to avoid a lot of drain-back; looks like the filter mount is fastened to a separate panel to keep the pump vibration from exciting a body panel.
And fastening the hoses is a good idea; that S/S will saw through most anything if it can vibrate against it.
(Added by edit) Just now looking at the 3D form of the pump cover near the C/L of the pump; did John make it clear the stock pulley 'shroud' so you didn't have to beat on the tin?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Paul,
I'm sure the engine won't notice. Unless of course, you rely on your new oil filter and neglect to put fresh, clean, new oil in about every 2,000 miles. But you will be happier and feel justified in your modification, and to you that's what counts.
Do you ever wonder why Porsche didn't incorporate connections to a right side off board filter and oil cooler in one of their many changes to the third piece?

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Gary,

You might consider some Aeroquip Firesleeve for the oil lines in the area closest to the number 4 exhaust pipe.

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#7 Post by Gary Koehler »

Thanks for the comments. There are several things I didn’t mention in my post.

The supply and return oil lines are about 3/8” above the top of the flapper box, plan to pop rivet 1/4” silicone rubber sheet to protect lines from any contact, or wrap them as Tim suggests.

When changing the filter, I plan to drill a 1/4” hole at the bottom and let it drain out before removal.

The tin behind the pulley did need to be notched, attached is a pic. It’s well thought out tho, the chamfer is meant to clearance the mating tin.The two (long) coupling nuts on the lower side of the Willhoit adapter are to attach a heat shield (radiant heat from the muffler).

The two bumper bolts are replaced with 50mm long fully threaded alloy studs; that way the bumper can be aligned and bolted up, the filter mount plate is installed after that with a second set of nuts. Removal of the filter doesn’t affect bumper position.
Attachments
BB19F9F7-DAB5-445D-A823-EC4A129A232C.jpeg
BB19F9F7-DAB5-445D-A823-EC4A129A232C.jpeg (3.21 MiB) Viewed 1487 times
Last edited by Gary Koehler on Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

I saw a car with John's filter set up on a car in his shop. If I recall correctly, the filter bracket was mounted higher up than the bumper bracket attached with bolts through the side of the engine compartment. Also, if I recall correctly, the filter hangs down. A perforted metal guard was fabricated to protect the filter.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#9 Post by Gary Koehler »

Mike,
People do things for different reasons. I chose to mount the filter horizontally with the inlet and outlet lines at the bottom, creating a horizontal path to/from the engine, to minimize drainback, length of line and pressure drop.
John may have an opinion, maybe he’ll chime in.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

You'll forgive me:
Remote Adapter 008.JPG
Remote Adapter 008.JPG (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1463 times
Remote Adpt 3.JPG
Remote Adpt 3.JPG (433.45 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
And that dent right of center of the lower image has nothing to do with the Adapter; left over from some prior work.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

That makes sense, Gary. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#12 Post by Gary Koehler »

Ron,
“” you’ll forgive me””
Not sure what you mean..

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

gary koehler wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:12 pm Ron,
“” you’ll forgive me””
Not sure what you mean..
Not sure why this is unclear..
If you are to sell to folks who value original parts, why would you not make your aftermarket parts require little-to-no modification? That radius cut to accept un-modifed tin took some minimal design time, and no additional machining time or cost on the Pre Mat part.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#14 Post by Gary Koehler »

A part made to avoid cutting the engine tin to preserve originality? Originality completely disappears when a full flow filter is installed - there’s non-original stuff hangin’ all over the place, so cutting the tin or not? It’s all about efficiency. BTW, I cut the tin by hand in about 15 minutes using a nibbler.

Whoever created the original design that routed return oil from the filter to the boss in the 3rd pc. got it exactly right, that’s why John and several others offer their oil pump cover adapters that route return oil directly to it. Pipe taps are ancient history, there are now o-ring face seals available that do not stress either the case or the cover.

My version of this design has a return line length of 14” from the filter to reach the 3rd pc.

Compare on the other hand, that the return line was routed down to the oil pump cover. Total path length requires the sum of 3 items: an additional 5” of external hose to reach; the path inside the 3rd pc. (about 5”), and let’s say 1” additional length inside the adapter. I don’t know how many mitered, 90° joints or diameter reductions there are in the last two, but any of these have a considerable pressure drop penalty.
So if you add the 3, the total path length to reach the 3rd pc. is about 25”, about 35% longer than the return line going directly to the 3rd pc., exactly the same place! Add in multiple internal pressure drops of unknown value, they don’t exist in the previous case.
Shorter lines, long radius elbows, faster priming and lower pressure drops, that’s my definition of efficiency.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron LaDow »

Gary,

"Compare on the other hand, that the return line was routed down to the oil pump cover. Total path length requires the sum of 3 items: an additional 5” of external hose to reach; the path inside the 3rd pc. (about 5”), and let’s say 1” additional length inside the adapter. I don’t know how many mitered, 90° joints or diameter reductions there are in the last two, but any of these have a considerable pressure drop penalty.
So if you add the 3, the total path length to reach the 3rd pc. is about 25”, about 35% longer than the return line going directly to the 3rd pc., exactly the same place! Add in multiple internal pressure drops of unknown value, they don’t exist in the previous case.
Shorter lines, long radius elbows, faster priming and lower pressure drops, that’s my definition of efficiency."

Actual hose length difference is <2", there is one sweep 45* fitting, inside the adapter length is ~3/8", there are no "mitered 90* fittings". Those are facts.
No, any analysis of the oil system will show the return is not "exactly the same place!". What are those "multiple internal pressure drops of unknown value"? And 'faster priming'?
BTW, racers commonly plumb the 'large pump' engines to coolers in the front of the car; call it 25' of hose. They suffer no "pressure drop"
You are welcome to you opinions.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz