Tach cable question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Christopher King
356 Fan

Tach cable question

#1 Post by Christopher King »

I am hoping for some help with a tach problem I have encountered.

I am coming off a fresh rebuild, and had my engine rebuilt as part of the process. A new tach cable insert was installed. I drove the car for about 20 miles, and it seemed to work just fine. After about 15 miles I noticed some dark "oil" like substance dripping from under the dash. Shortly after that I noticed the tach was acting funny. It would stick at a number, and then peg all the way around. When you turned the car off it would slowly wind back down. I took a look at the back of the tach and saw some of the oily liquid. I removed the cable from the back of tach, and roughly a tablespoon of the dark oil spilled out of the inside of the cable. I checked the engine end of the cable, and it looks like the oil screen/filter is installed in that end.

My questions are:
1. is it normal for oil to pushed up into the cable for lubricating purposes? If so, how much. I got roughly a 1/4 cup of oil out of the cable into a ziplock bag when I drove it 20-30 miles without it being hooked up to the tach.
2. what does the oil filter look like? I assume it is a flat black ring in the oil pump, where the cable connects.
3. Is there a filter/seal on the tach side of the cable as well?
4. where can you buy a new filter? I checked all the normal parts shops online, and I don't see any one carries them.
5. any other suggestions on what the problem could be or how to fix it?

Much thanks in advance.
Chris King
'58 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Tach cable question

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I'm not aware of a filter in/for the tach cable. On the engine end of the cable there is a seal and thin washer. Oil shouldn't be traveling from the engine to the tach. It will need to be cleaned.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Christopher King
356 Fan

#3 Post by Christopher King »

Thanks for the response Mike. Is the seal and washer two separate components, or the same? I think what I can see is the flat black washer. Not sure if there is a separate seal behind that. Any ideas on where to purchase a new seal if needed?
Chris King
'58 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

The black seal you see is the only one. Hopefullybsomeone can post a pic of the assembly. It sounds like you are missing the metal washer. Stoddard carries the parts you need and my guess is that there is a diagram on their website.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Tach cable oil drive seal: 539-07-117
Tach cable shim washer: 369-05-707

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

David Green
356 Fan

#6 Post by David Green »

i drilled a very small hole in the ferrule at the engine drive end of the cable so that if it ever leaks the oil will drip out there and not get screw-pumped up the cable and ruin the tach.
David

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

When replacing the tach cable insert, make sure the seal is also replaced along w/the little shim which lightly squeezes the protruding seal when snugging up the ring nut. Never drill a hole to allow an oil leak.
OH--make sure the seal's lip is pointed toward the casting and NOT outward!

Christopher King
356 Fan

#8 Post by Christopher King »

Thank you all. I will order a new seal/shim and see if that helps. I appreciate all the responses.
Chris King
'58 Coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

By the way, the seal's lip runs on the tach-drive output shaft; Not on the cable's end.

Christopher King
356 Fan

#10 Post by Christopher King »

Just closing the loop on this discussion. I replaced (added) the metal washer, and the result was immediate. No more oil being pushed up the tach cable. Thank you all for your help.
Chris King
'58 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#11 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats on solving the problem.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe