Strange Things Are Happening with My Ads

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Silten
356 Fan

Strange Things Are Happening with My Ads

#1 Post by Peter Silten »

I have several ads running on the Registry for my speaker fabric and my reproduction Convertible D, Roadster and Drauz manuals. Within the past month, I have been contacted by four different people who have expressed an interest in buying one of manuals or my speaker fabric. I reply, and then I hear nothing. I send a follow-up, and still no response. I am trying to figure out what this is all about. Has anyone who has an ad on the Registry had this happen to them recently?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Strange Things Are Happening with My Ads

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've had a recent experience where I contacted a seller telling him I would like to buy the part he was offering. That was about a week ago and to date, no response indicating that it had already been sold or accepting my offer to buy.

Of course there are always extenuating circumstances, illness, injury, etc. but it is nevertheless frustrating.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Lockie McKinnon
356 Fan

#3 Post by Lockie McKinnon »

Sometimes there is an upside.....I contacted a seller advising I will buy the part and asked him how he would like payment.
He never had the courtesy to reply. I waited for over a week and found the same part in better condition and at a considerable cheaper price. The part is still listed.
Lockie

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

It might help if you could tell us if it is a known Registry member or someone you've never heard of, or has just joined. It could be fake profiles hoping to hi-jack emails to rip off other people.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#5 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Is there a spam filter somewhere in the line of communication, keeping your emails from reaching the intended recipients?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#6 Post by Paul Hatfield »

You’re not alone Peter. Same thing happens to me on generator/fan belts I have advertised.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Adam, to answer your question, the seller is not a new member and I believe I have successfully purchased from him previously.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#8 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Recently I responded to someone on our classified ads who was 'desperately' seeking a couple of items, claiming he couldn't find them anywhere. I sent several replies that I did have the items he so 'desperately' needed but never received even the courtesy of a reply. Guess he wasn't so desperately in need after all!

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

While there are many possible reasons someone doesn't receive a reply, one has to be careful to click on the sender's email address, which appears in the body of the email, and not just the Reply button.
Greg Bryan

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

Greg: are you referring to the '"contact now" link or something else? With most sellers, I have not had a problem using that link.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

#11 Post by Al Zim »

Whatever makes you think that the members respond to your inquiries like should be done in a business. My guess is that 60% of the people I contact regarding parts to sell or purchase do not respond. for many people it seems that selling their parts is like taking their life away. al zim A Ph.D candidate who completed his course work in Counseling and college administration at 24.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

Al Zim wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 9:58 am Whatever makes you think that the members respond to your inquiries like should be done in a business. My guess is that 60% of the people I contact regarding parts to sell or purchase do not respond. for many people it seems that selling their parts is like taking their life away. al zim A Ph.D candidate who completed his course work in Counseling and college administration at 24.
To be fair Al, you contacting someone to sell them a part comes along with your reputation, which is not one that gives great deals on parts. So that might be why people aren't responding to you when you tell them you have a part they are looking for.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#13 Post by Al Zim »

Adan: Since 1962 I have been involved with Porsche. Since 1971 as I ended my college teaching career I with Ed Mayo went back into the Porsche business. In 90 days Zim's will have been at their present location for 40 years. In 18 months each of us Ed and I will have spent 50 years doing POR-SHA in the Ft. Worth/Dallas area. Zim (and Mayo Performance) is not in the business to give deals as you do Adam, rather we pride ourselves on delivering parts that are correct for your car and on rebuilt parts ones that will give a long period of trouble free service. We have a machine shop on premise with a brand new metric lathe, most all of the factory tooling to do suspension repair and we can properly align a 356. Adam while you have had a great deal of 356 experience you were not working on the cars when they were new and probably were not as intrigued as I have been all my life with these cars. Each of us does business as we believe it should be done in retrospect at 76 years of age I would not change what I am doing and I hope the business will retain this character when I am no longer able to participate in its daily activities. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/