DISASSEMBLING GAUGES

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jay Darlington
356 Fan

DISASSEMBLING GAUGES

#1 Post by Jay Darlington »

Has anyone serviced or replaced the bezel on their gauges? I just received some new bezels from Stoddard and have been thinking about taking the speedo apart. the lens is dirty inside and the bezel is bad other than that they look good. I guess my question is has anybody refitted a new bezel, or even the old one. I've been planning to use several pieces of pipe, I believe 4" std pipe will just snugly fit over the gauge. i'm then going to machine a 30* bevel at one end then a 45, 60 and 90 with the gauge in the pipe I would press the bezel to form the 30* bend then progress from there to the 90*.give me your thoughts on this. after looking at the new bezels i'm not sure that they will take to much pressure, it may deform the top before it starts to fold the under side. another thought is make a roller to roll the edges.
oh yes I know there are businesses that service gauges but I could gold plate them for less and besides I'm a diy guy.
Thanks for any input
Jay D.
jay darlington

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

Re: DISASSEMBLING GAUGES

#2 Post by Norm Miller »

Jay,
You are over complicating the process.
Remove the old bezels by inserting a screwdriver under the edge and pushing it around the unit expanding the bezel as you go.
Install using a reverse procedure by pressing on the bezel and circling the unit.

If you are right-handed remove CCW install CW.
It helps to soften the corners of the screwdriver to avoid binding.

Easier to do than explain.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#3 Post by Alan Hall »

Jay,
There are jewelers tools to help form the edges of bezels, used for setting large stones in rings etc. They are sort of like smooth, formed, spoon shaped screwdrivers. Not expensive, check e-bay or amazon.

Paul Hatfield
356 Registry Member

#4 Post by Paul Hatfield »

Alan- good tip! Jay, I am interested in your process/results as I may do the same thing. Please post pictures.
Oh, when discussing this with others in the past, It was recommended to me to use two small pieces of plywood. Use the bottom one as a base and then add a layer with a hole cut out that just holds the gauge. Line the bottom of the hole with felt. This would nicely hold the workpiece on a table top.
Paul Hatfield
"Miss April"
http://www.enginesinback.com

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I have done Norm’s method. It was ok. I bet you could do it a lot better than i did.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Darlington »

THANKS FOR THE INPUT! its a lot more than I expected on this subject. Norm thanks for the tip on the screwdriver, i'm going to try and take one apart soon, I have a lot going on trying to get the engine completed and getting ready to leave for a month vacation, plus a million other things.
Jay D.
jay darlington